Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should gay marriage be made legal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think she is trying to say if the dog enjoys itself regardless of consent, is that bad?

I certainly don't think it's good ....
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    teagan i can only give you a personal case - when i was 8 years old i knew exactly how sex worked - the physical and emotional aspects of it. the fact that i hadn't experienced them, or felt any desire to is neither here nor there. but had i felt the desire to, i was as well equipped to deal with the decision then as i was at 16.

Are you sure you understood the emotional side of it? Well, I am surprised. Maybe I and my friends were unusual but although we had knowledge of the physical side, only my maturity now shows that I had no true understanding of the emotional side at that age.

Oh well, we're all different! :p *hugs*
  • Options
  • Options
    my parents gave me a very good sex education :)

this is meant in the most non-dodgy way possible

Ah! But sexual education and sexual maturity are two different things .... but I take your point. :)
  • Options
    yet an 18 year old with learning difficulties can give consent whereas an 8 year old cannot. but surely if their mental age is the same then this should not be the case.

A grey area. There have been many cases of adults with learning disabilities being raped in care - they are deemed not of sound enough mind to give consent.
    As I said - its about power dynamics.
    teagan i can only give you a personal case - when i was 8 years old i knew exactly how sex worked - the physical and emotional aspects of it. the fact that i hadn't experienced them, or felt any desire to is neither here nor there. but had i felt the desire to, i was as well equipped to deal with the decision then as i was at 16.

Really? I don't actually believe you tbh. Its impossible (IMO) to deal with the emotional side of sex and relationships until you've experienced them - and even then its really hard. I agree that children are sexual beings, but there is no way that an 8 year old is mature enough or understands enough to give informed consent.
  • Options
    just answer me - does the fact that the dog hasn't legally consented matter if it is not harmed and is a willing and happy participant? should we prevent dogs from mating as neither of them have signed consent forms?

This is getting tedious now. I'm not talking about legal consent. Dogs are not humans. They are not self aware in the way that we are. Do I really need to point this out to you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    but say, statutory rape - in some cases it's only rape because the individual cannot give consent. they haven't been harmed, they were actively participating.

What are you wittering on about? :confused: Non-consensual sex is rape. End of story.
    Are you related to Steelgate by any chance?
  • Options
  • Options
    i can't offer you any proof, but by the time i was 16, i still thought the same about sex as when i was 8.

You were either an incredibly mature 8 year old or an incredibly immature 16 year old.
    and if, as you believe, it is impossible to fully understand sex and relationships till one has experienced them, then an inexperienced 16 year is as ill-informed to give consent as an 8 year old, surely?

People change. They grow up. Puberty happens, hormones happen which change the way that you think. You learn from people around you, from having that first wank, that first kiss, that first crush, that first grope etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    and i agree, this is getting off the point.

which was - it was, until fairly recently, illegal to have sex with another man. it is currently illegal to have sex with animals or children.

society believes one to be perfectly reasonable, the other two to be peverse.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! You cannot even BEGIN to compare the two!!!!
  • Options
    and i agree, this is getting off the point.

which was - it was, until fairly recently, illegal to have sex with another man. it is currently illegal to have sex with animals or children.

society believes one to be perfectly reasonable, the other two to be peverse.

Because its about informed consent :rolleyes:

*goes away to scream in the middle of a wide open space* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta, what are you and I missing here??? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    Blagsta, what are you and I missing here??? :confused:

i think its more about what girl with sharp teeth is missing tbh...
  • Options
  • Options
    Why did a discussion on gay marriage between two willing adults become a discussion about paedophilia, the second adoption is mentioned?

Somebody suggested that males are "designed" to copulate with a woman. This should have read "some men". Gay men are "designed" to sleep with a man. Everybody's different. But it doesn't mean they should be excluded and deemed "unnatural", when it is clearly a natural aspect of humanity because it occurs within the human race instinctually for some people.

We're all human

I find it difficult to understand why people see that the way forward in this society is to exclude others. I get the feeling some people are allowing their own personal hangups to interfere with a political judgement on what is right and wrong.
    The way I see it "right" is to make the world an equal place, and a happy place for everyone to live in. Apologies if your bigotry interferes with that projection.
  • Options
    I stand by what I said earlier ... that males are designed to mate/copulate with females.

I don't think you can argue with that. Two male's copulating is unnatural, a male and a female copulating is natural.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    I stand by what I said earlier ... that males are designed to mate/copulate with females.

I don't think you can argue with that. Two male's copulating is unnatural, a male and a female copulating is natural.

What a crock of shit. First of all - "designed". Designed by who? Secondly "natural" and "unnatural". False binary opposition there mate. If homosexuality was "unnatural" then it wouldn't occur in the animal kingdom would it? And man is part of nature, no? Therefore human behaviour is "natural", no?
  • Options

Well, you are entitled to your opinion ... but then Hitler (for example) had some rather strange opinions too. Fortunately, it seems MOST people on this board display more common sense, thought, care of their fellow man and fairness of spirit than you do ... which I find very refreshing.
  • Options
    Of course I think gay people should be allowed to get married. Why should anyone else care? It doesnt affect YOU. And everyone should have the same rights. How about if I say to a hetrosexual couple that I think they shouldnt get married how would you feel? So thats my opinion :)

Also I am not gay.
  • Options
    Why shouldnt it? Just because it doesnt fit into anyones principles and beliefs, if its not intenionally hurting anyone or knowingly I do not see a problem. Get something better to worry about.
  • Options

I think I can and will argue. With that.
    Some men are not designed to mate with a female - their biochemistry, whatever, means their instincts drive them towards men. They are designed to have sex with men, most likely from birth. Throw up the term "unnatural" as much as you like - what you're saying is flawed, because people are born the way they are. Therefore homosexuality is naturally occuring - perhaps it's not unnatural as opposed to alternative.

Leaving the animal kingdom aside - homosexuality is a part of the human race, a person does not decide on what their sexuality is. Adding to this, if, in Christianity, homosexuality is wrong - and God is the creator of all life, why would God create homosexuals?

I think the world should be equal - those, in particular Christians, who claim that it is wrong to grant people equality, and right to discriminate people on the way they are born should be the one's who are criticised. If they think it's wrong they have the right to believe what they want, but I don't think they have the right to impose it onto society, and the various groups within it.
  • Options
    hmm actually gay couples now have more rights than straight couples as in they wil have the same legal rights if they live with eachother as comapred to a marriage in straight couples, so now actually living together straight couples have less legal rights,

however my personal opinion is that the new live-in rights gay couples wil get, should be got rid of and they should be able to have the legal equivilent of marriage, like a union or registrar marriage or something since as this country has an official state religion which tolerates(which is debatable but i think since the church here allow gays yet celebate preists, that counts as tolerance) but is still debating whether it accepts homosexuality on principle, so until the COE comes to a decision, i think they should be allowed to get married in a registrar office or somewhere like normal(but since people will call me a homophobe for that i mean a) heterosexual couple
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that homosexuals would be given more rights than heterosexuals IF the new proposals go ahead.

Regardless of what i said, I believe people have the right to an opinion - homosexual weddings should, in my opinion, be allowed - but out of respect for people's religious beliefs, it would be understandable that it wouldn't happen in a church.

Surely, that would make everyone happy. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Because its about informed consent :rolleyes:

Why can't someone under 16 give "informed consent" then?

Oh, and the bit you are missing is the bit where you are focussing on consent alone. Take a leap outside of the box and assume that it was possible to prove that an animal had consented to sex. What is it now which makes it wrong?

We can get caught up in the "was consent" given argument, but then you can for any form of sexual contact...

What GWST is suggesting is that we assume that adults can give consent, and can be proven to give consent. As a consequence we say that sexual contact between adult is okay - provided cnsent is given.

So why is sex with a child/animal illegal even if consent is given (in whatever format that takes)?

@ Alan, don't get caught up in the paedophilia/homosexual issue. There was no link between the two until you mentioned it. I have yet to come across anyone on here who believe that the two are linked in anyway.

The question was about consenting to sexual contact, not the ability of homosexuals to adopt...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Why can't someone under 16 give "informed consent" then?

See my comments about power relations.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What a crock of shit. First of all - "designed". Designed by who?
    What do you mean 'designed by who?' I don't know who. Some people say God, some people say evolution, and others have their own theories. The point is that we are designed the way we are.

E.g. the function of the nose is to smell. I can try eating through my nose, but thats not whats its designed for is it? Some people may actually be able to eat through their nose, but its not the natural way to eat is it?
    A guy can fuck another guy up the arse, but then again, he can also drill a hole in the wall and fuck the wall, he can also fuck his dog up the arse, he can also also shove his dick between two cussions and fuck the cussions. The list goes on.
    Sorry about the graphical detail.
    You know and I know that the only natural form of copulating involves a penis and a vagina. Simple as. Anything else is unnatural.
  • Options