Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I feel unsure about disclosing my neurodiversity on job applications

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,656 The Mix Elder
So it's been a while since I reached out for help on here. I dont really need help I guess I kind of need some advice and to see what others think as well. Currently I am unemployed and have been currently seeking employment and applying for various jobs. The dream job for me is working in the TV and film industry but due to how the industry is going at the moment my dream seems impossible and closed off for now. However its not stopping me from applying to companies despite there not being many shows being made and a lot of deemployment too. I even applied for regular jobs in my local town but they never get back to me and all I get is some kind of radio silence. So I'm left in the dark wondering if I was successful or not. Sometimes I email back and all I get is unsuccessful so I ask for feedback but guess what they never provide any. I can understand that most recruitment teams are quite small and they have to sort out thousands of applicants I know that feeling myself when working on a short film with a friend and helping to cast it too. It's difficult but I hate being left in the dark not knowing where am I with an application or what stage I am on. What I find and this is generally why I am writing this is because most job applications ask for your disabilities or conditions that impact you working. I normally state that I am neurodiverse. But I am worried that if I say on applications that yes I am neurodiverse and have a disability the company feels scared to employ me eventhough they don't need to be, they can just ask me. I know by law companies have to provide reasonable adjustments for their employees. But sometimes when I have been working in the past I feel like companies pity us neurodivergent folk and use as a form of tick boxing us to prove that they are disability inclusive and friendly even though they are doing the complete opposite. I am not a bloody tick box at the end of the day, I'm a human being. Yes I have a disability and this does impact how I work but I can work and I want to work. :/ sorry for the long rant if you have made it this far I congratulate you. I just feel lost.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 2,023 Boards Champion
    Hey @Amy22, thank you for sharing this with us here. It's a really good question, and one that many people with neurodiversity will be worried about at this stage, so I'm sure you're not the first or last to feel this way. There's valid frustration at the overall process which is understandable and relatable to anyone who's applied for a role, but I'll focus my answer on your main question.

It's a difficult one - on the one hand, you want to feel able to let a company know about neurodiversity/disability so that they can accommodate for you as you need; on the other hand, the job market is really competitive and if it's going to make it harder for you to get the role you want, it might be worth not mentioning it to boost your chances.

In practice, people take varying positions (even between different job applications!):
    - Some people will state it upfront so that they only need to spend their time applying for roles at inclusive companies, since the less inclusive ones would reject anyways.
    - Some people don't disclose it until they've got the job secured because the company would still need to make reasonable adjustments anyway.
    - Some will mention it during the application process only if they need a specific adjustment (e.g. interviews/assessment centres).
    - Some will never mention it at all due to fear of unfair treatment.

Different companies have varying levels of inclusivity support, and it's worth looking into companies to see whether they've got demonstrated support for people with disabilities or neurodivergence.

Ultimately, whether you decide whether to disclose this information and when you do so is a personal decision - what you feel is right and what you're comfortable with. You're absolutely right - you're not simply there to tick a box. You have skills and knowledge to contribute in a meaningful way :)

What do you think about the above? What do you feel is right/comfortable for you to do? We're here to support you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,656 The Mix Elder
    Thank you @Azziman sometimes I feel like if I dont disclose my diability it may be much more easier. I really appreciate your answer and its definitely helpful towards my future. However, I do like to let my potential employer know that i am neurodiverse and to be mindful of that too.
  • eylaheylah Posts: 3,989 Community Veteran
    hugs amy <3.
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍
    Aw thank you so much @eylah I really appreciate it.
  • eylaheylah Posts: 3,989 Community Veteran
    you matter to me amy <3
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍
    Thats really kind of you to say @eylah and same here too <3.