Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Taster session tomorrow

TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,832 Extreme Poster
edited September 19 in Work & Study
I have a taster session for a work placement tomorrow, its just a few hours where I think theyll see if it's suitable for me like they'll check if it's the right one for me and I think I can see it's right for me. The taster session would lead to a placement if it goes ok and then I would get an interview then a paid job pottentially. I have to get the bus there because it's in the city centre which is not something I like but I want to get into work and it's only a 1 off. If I got a placement I think it would be more local. I just feel nervous and a bit negative about it like it sounds alright if I could get past the taster session but I'm not feeling 100 percent positive due to the previous setbacks and nothing going well yet. Like during other setbacks like the forklift training I thought it would go well and it obviously didn't like it was at the start of the year so I thought this year was the year I change, get into work etc but it didnt. It's been very hard at times, I just have been looking for work and not securing anything so not seeing results for how much I have been trying. I just want something to work out because I have been feeling hopeless a lot and the longer this is going to go on the more worse I'll get. I have been thinking like a year ago I was supposed to be looking for work and I still am now which gets me down. I wasn't applying for a bit because I didn't know what to do then the training idea came to mind and I had it booked in then it didn't go well so I have just been looking for work probably a few weeks after, nothing too particular just first jobs for income, routine, experiance, skills etc but its been very stressed and hard.

I think about the work process everyday because I just want to change and I'm trying to change but it's been hard. I was looking at my early posts here and I was worried about jobs because I finished college and didn't know what work I wanted then since then I have just had setbacks and fails and nothing has still gone to plan yet. I just want something to work out soon because it really scares me being out of work much longer, what's been getting me through this is hope and like I have this placement come up so opportunities like that increase my home as there's a potential job at the end of it where I could earn money and work towards other goals. The sooner things fall together a bit other things will like snowball like I can build savings, have a routine, with more income I can do stuff like hobbies that may require money and by nice stuff. Like the stuff on my goals posts I made, I could work towards them the sooner I get into work. It's good I have ths opportunity tomorrow but I'm just not 100 percent positive about it and I'm nervous.
Post edited by TheNightmare on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,951 Legendary Poster
    It’s perfectly normal and natural to be a bit nervous especially when you haven’t been in the situation for a while. The best thing you can do is be confident and show them your potential. My mum once told me that even if you are nervous, try not to appear nervous. Confidence will do you a lot of favours.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    Hey @TheNightmare, I hear you. I can understand how past experiences would weigh on your expectations for this taster session, and that it's really frustrating to not be able to start work like you want. You're doing lots of things right to get that going - applying for roles and getting opportunities like this taster session can only happen because you're striving to reach that goal. I know it's hard to take the rejections, but it doesn't diminish your efforts so far - try not to be disheartened at your journey so far.

I know how much you want to get working, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself for this one taster session if that'll distract you from the taster session work. Don't worry about the outcome and implications, and focus on one stage at a time, and I'm sure you'll do great. We're cheering you on, let us know how you get on! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,832 Extreme Poster
    It’s perfectly normal and natural to be a bit nervous especially when you haven’t been in the situation for a while. The best thing you can do is be confident and show them your potential. My mum once told me that even if you are nervous, try not to appear nervous. Confidence will do you a lot of favours.
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hey @TheNightmare, I hear you. I can understand how past experiences would weigh on your expectations for this taster session, and that it's really frustrating to not be able to start work like you want. You're doing lots of things right to get that going - applying for roles and getting opportunities like this taster session can only happen because you're striving to reach that goal. I know it's hard to take the rejections, but it doesn't diminish your efforts so far - try not to be disheartened at your journey so far.

I know how much you want to get working, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself for this one taster session if that'll distract you from the taster session work. Don't worry about the outcome and implications, and focus on one stage at a time, and I'm sure you'll do great. We're cheering you on, let us know how you get on! <3

@independent_ and @Azziman
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, positively, encouragement and also I didnt think I'll get any replies before tomorrow I thought it would take a day or more to get some so I appreciate the quick responses too. I'll make sure to try my best to be confident and go in with the right mindset etc.
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,056 Wise Owl
    Hey @TheNightmare jsut checking in to see how you are feeling about today. You got this :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    edited September 20
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Hey @TheNightmare jsut checking in to see how you are feeling about today. You got this :)

@ebyrne556 hey, thanks so much for the check up, I really appreciate it, I'm pretty nervous but not too bad, I'm just waiting to leave, hopefully it goes fine.
    It will go just fine. Just be confident. Good luck!!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    It will go just fine. Just be confident. Good luck!!

Cheers
    edited September 20
    I didn't get a place on the placement
    I’m sorry to hear that man, how did the day go?
    edited September 20
    I’m sorry to hear that man, how did the day go?

@independent_
    Thanks a lot, it went fine like nothing went wrong like the forklift driving training I wasn't getting it and they kicked me off the course a day early for this it wasnt like I was doing anything wrong, it was just my answers for the interview was a bit short but I tried, turned up on time, took part in the tasks. There's only a certain amount of places and more people on the programme than places so can't accept everyone. If there was enough places for everyone I probably would got a place. Also it means I won't be wasting several weeks on a placement just to get no job out of it, either way I would have got experience but there's other opportunities.