Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My support at my supported accomodation

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer
edited September 15 in Health & Wellbeing

Hello.

A situation at my supported accommodation has recently been troubling me for the past few days. My support worker seems different since I shared what he did with the organisation. Something did not seem quite right. It is possible he was having a bad day, but it looks like it had something to do with what I did. I approached him about a concern, and it appeared that he took his feelings out on the support he provided. I have not done anything wrong. It was reasonable for me to share with the organisation that I have been unhappy with the support. Despite the experience, I have also developed excellent independent living skills and friendships with one of the tenants. So, there have been some positive aspects. I have also shared how I feel with friends and another helpline.

Comments

• toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 1,502 Extreme Poster
    its good that you developed excellent independent living skills. maybe you should talk to your support worker about it? ive been thinking about going into a supported accomodation once im a young adult since i have a physical disability along with a mental illness. do you know if its worth it? i think im eligible for a lot of supported accomodation spaces.
    ah nvm i think theres a difference between supported living and supported accommodation. supported accommodation is for care leavers, and supported living is for people with additional needs. i got the two mixed up lol.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,281 Part of The Furniture
    Hello @Creativeboy23. I can hear conflicting feelings about some things which have been useful and other things, like voicing your experience, has not felt so greatly supported. Your needs and wishes are valid and you deserve to be able to voice these.

Thank you for sharing your own thoughts and experiences about this topic @toffuna101 - this helps to create community between you.

Some people use the term interchangeably @toffuna101. "Supported living is also known as supportive living or supported accommodation". Each supported accommodation will have different requirements for residents to fulfil to access the services though!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    ah ok, i was confused for a second @Laura_tigger82
  • Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer
    edited September 15

I do not feel comfortable talking to him about it. I have felt invalidated by him before when I shared things that upset me. He has said never to my feelings; I can always talk to them when I have shared that I was upset about a comment he made. So, I am not comfortable sharing my emotions with him, especially if he seems to be behaving different.

I have experienced a lot of other emotional invalidation in the past. I have been questioning whether I was supposed to feel how I did when he told me never to feel my feelings due to experiences of others trying problem solve my feelings making me think it is not valid to feel my feelings because my interpretation may be inaccurate. It has made me feel unimportant, invisible, and misunderstood.

Yes, it is worth it. You can be supported in developing independent living skills to prepare you for long-term accommodation. Yes, you should be eligible since you will be a vulnerable adult.
    toffuna101 wrote: »
    its good that you developed excellent independent living skills. maybe you should talk to your support worker about it? ive been thinking about going into a supported accomodation once im a young adult since i have a physical disability along with a mental illness. do you know if its worth it? i think im eligible for a lot of supported accomodation spaces.
    thank you. and yes i will be a vulnerable adult in the future.
  • Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer

I agree. I cannot keep quiet if I am unhappy with my experience at my accomodation. It was good that I shared it with the organisation. It can help them improve their service.
    Hello @Creativeboy23. I can hear conflicting feelings about some things which have been useful and other things, like voicing your experience, has not felt so greatly supported. Your needs and wishes are valid and you deserve to be able to voice these.

Thank you for sharing your own thoughts and experiences about this topic @toffuna101 - this helps to create community between you.

Some people use the term interchangeably @toffuna101. "Supported living is also known as supportive living or supported accommodation". Each supported accommodation will have different requirements for residents to fulfil to access the services though!