Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feeling invalidated

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer
edited August 21 in Health & Wellbeing

Hello.

I have been struggling with my self-image, which has been making me feel low, isolated, and suicidal. I have tried to read my list of reasons to live, and I initially did not have any more suicidal thoughts since. A youth club member asked me where I am from. I said England and he asked where in England which felt like an insult of my intelligence. I was imagining my support worker telling me to look on the map for my workplace I will be working at soon, making me feel sent away. So, I have overall been feeling judged, making me question who I am. I did not feel the volunteer was very helpful. My feelings were not explored. I felt rushed to thinking how to cope. I was remembering when my therapist went straight to getting me to challenge my thoughts so I felt how they made me feel were dismissed.

On my way to a mental health crisis place, I returned back to feeling suicidal. I shared my feelings and thoughts with a volunteer and she did not validate and explore them. She listened to my experience but jumped straight into problem solving my situation. She asked what coping skills I use when I am in a low mood. The volunteer did not seem helpful. I was disappointed with the service and felt invalidated again.

Comments

• GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 1,095 Wise Owl
    Hey @Creativeboy23, thank you for reaching out and sharing what you've been going through. It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of emotions, and I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling so low and unsupported. It's so important that we all feel heard, validated, and understood, especially when we're struggling. <3

It must be really frustrating and hurtful to feel judged and not taken seriously, especially when you're opening up about something as personal as your self-image and mental health. It sounds like the experiences you've had with the volunteer and therapist left you feeling dismissed, which can be so disheartening when all you want is to feel seen and supported.

Your feelings are valid, and it's okay to want more from the people who are supposed to help you. Sometimes, people can jump to problem-solving because they want to help fix things quickly, but that can feel invalidating when what you really need is for someone to sit with you in your emotions and truly understand where you're coming from.

We're here to listen to you, and we won't rush into solutions. If you want to talk more about how you're feeling or what you've been going through, such as sharing more around your feelings on your self-image, we're here for that. If you're not sure what you need right now, that's okay too. Your feelings matter, and you deserve to have them acknowledged and explored in a way that feels right for you.

I'm aware you've mentioned you've been having some suicidal thoughts, can I check in to ask if you're feeling like you can keep yourself safe?

If you are ever unsure about your safety, there are lots of lovely services you can reach out for support:
    Crisis Messenger (24/7) | text THEMIX to 85258
    Samartians (24/7) | call 116 123 | email jo@samaritans.org
    Papyrus (2pm-midnight) | call 0800 068 41 41 | text 07786 209 697 | email pat@payrus-uk.org
    Supportline (hours vary) | call 01708 765 200
    Childline | call 0800 11 11

Keep going, we're here for you. <3
    ♡♡♡
  • Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 240 Trailblazer

Hello @Gemma.

Well said.

Yes. My experiences did make me feel dismissed because they did not sit with my feelings, and I did keep myself safe. Thank you. I have been using the crisis services for support.

I am not sure. I need some more time. <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,281 Part of The Furniture
    It is okay not to be sure and to need more time @Creativeboy23. Is there anything which might help in the meantime?

It sounds really difficult that your experiences made you feel dismissed. We are really glad to hear you have been keeping safe and using the crisis services for support.

We are here to listen to you too and your feelings matter to us and are validated by us <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Hello @Laura_tigger82.

I am not sure what other strategies may help. The only option I feel I currently have is the counselling I am on a waiting list for. <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,281 Part of The Furniture
    Waiting lists can be difficult @Creativeboy23. Have you been guided as to how long the waiting list for counselling might be?

It is okay not to know what other strategies may help. However, it is super positive to hear that you are wanting to keep yourself safe and are reaching out for support. We are here with you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    edited September 3

Hello @Laura_tigger82.

I got told that it can be a bit of a wait. I do not think they can give me a definitive timeframe.

Absolutely. I have developed courage in speaking out about my feelings. <3