Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Getting ready for university

OceanDreamingOceanDreaming Posts: 16 Settling in
I’ve taken a gap year this past year which has been great for my mental health and helped me feel more prepared for uni - I start in September. However, I haven’t done much to get ready for uni other than sort out finance and accommodation. I still need to go shopping to get everything I need - stuff for the kitchen, the bathroom, even my bedroom. I’ve started making some lists of things I need but it’s very overwhelming. I won’t be able to go shopping until the middle of August as I’m busy the rest of the summer, and it’s stressing me out. I’m trying to think logically and calmly and remind myself that it will all work out, but it’s hard, especially as there’s nothing I can really do to work towards uni until I’m free next month. I also want to spend some time before moving away to uni to get used to the new things I’ve bought, such as cook and wash up and do laundry and even maybe sleep in my new duvet (which I have already bought to be fair!), because I really struggle with change and want moving away to go as smoothly and comfortably as possible. So basically, there’s a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it, which is making me feel anxious, especially as I’m busy for the next few weeks.

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,983 Extreme Poster
    edited July 27
    Hey @OceanDreaming - I can hear that you're feeling worried about getting ready for university, and that's quite natural. It's a new place, moving into a new accommodation, meeting new people - that's a lot of change all in one go.

It's good to hear that you've sorted out finance and accommodation - those are two really important things to get out of the way. You've started making lists on what you need, which is great. I'd also suggest looking online for "moving in checklists" that former uni students create, as those give good ideas of things you might not have thought of.

I can hear how you want to ease the transition into uni, and it's great that you want to get used to some of the new things you're buying - that sounds pretty sensible to me. Don't be afraid to ask a friend or family member to help you the first couple of times if you like, support and company can help!

Despite all the preparation, I'd be prepared for the change to take some time to get used to - it's very common for people to take the first few weeks to get into the swing of things. You'll be around lots of people who feel a similar emotion to you. Talking to those you study with and live with is a big help - you feel less alone as you find you're in a similar boat to those around you, and you'll meet people and make friends that way! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • OceanDreamingOceanDreaming Posts: 16 Settling in
    Thank you @Azziman , your reply really helps me feel better!!!
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,026 Wise Owl
    Hey @OceanDreaming just wanting to say I totally get you I’m also starting in September at uni and def get the mixed emotions. I hope it goes rlly well for u and we are all going to b here every step of the way You got this ❤️
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 2,301 Boards Champion
    Hi, I’m not sure what advice to give you but just wanted to say I can relate. I’m also starting uni in September and I don’t feel at all ready for it. My parents have got me some of the things I need but I’m still missing a lot of it, plus I need to learn how to cook and clean etc.
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,420 Wise Owl
    Just wanted to say basically what everyone else has said.

firstly, it's great to here you've got the two big things out the way sorted with finance and accommodation. and like the others have said, it's okay for the change to take a bit of time to truly settle in and become the 'new norm', but i'm sure you'll smash the transition and be absolutely okay. As someone who has been to uni, i remember it feeling daunting before it happened, but once you're there and get settled in, things will all fall into place

like the others have said, we'll be here for you throughout the process whenever you need someone to talk to or any advice. I'm sure you'll get all the shopping side sorted before you begin and everything will be okay

sending you a big hug and lots of luck with the move to university when it happens

Sinead
  • Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hey @OceanDreaming just want to know ur worries are super understandable and valid!! I felt the exact same way. Not a super constructive thing for me to say but honestly try not to worry too much, I left shopping for everything rrly late (early sep) and got it all done in one big asda shop! Haha plus I know lots of people who just bought their none essential stuff (dust pan +brush, extra pots+pans) when they got to their acc uni accom or just did an amazon order! Good luck though, you’ve got this !! :)