Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What music, books, podcasts etc have helped you on your recovery journey?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,541 Part of The Furniture
edited June 24 in We Need You
Mixorians, we need your help :bleep_bloop:

Behind the scenes, The Mix is developing a 1-2-1 Peer Support Service for under 25's. To help us do that, we're building what we've lovingly named The Green Book.

The Green Book will contain resources we can share with people who contact our service, like...
  • Podcasts
  • Music
  • Books
  • Activity suggestions
  • Instagrammers or other public figures
  • Different kinds of online resources
  • Other organisations
  • And whatever else comes to mind!

Basically whatever might help someone, we want to include it. :)

I know you lot have a tonne of ideas when it comes to this stuff, so... what's helped you on your recovery journey? Or maybe stuff that has just helped you live a happier, healthier life?
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,541 Part of The Furniture
    Also! Please leave links to your suggestions so we can check them out ourserselves :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 2,041 Boards Champion
    This is a cool idea @JustV! Happy to get the ball rolling :)

There's been a few books that I've read on my journey that have helped me along the way, but these two stand for me:

- Meditations, Marcus Aurelius - a written set of spiritual reflections by Marcus Aurelius while he was a Roman Emperor, it discusses the philosophy of Stoicism. It discusses the importance of practicing virtue, but I also took away key lessons that helped on my journey. The idea of distinguishing between things you can control and those you cannot is a helpful framework to approaching problems and understanding how I could move forward in life; as well as exercising gratitude for all the people and experiences as a way to feel more content and satisfied in life.

- Factfulness, Hans Rosling - a really insightful book, where Hans shows us through data that the world is in a better place that we might initially believe. Hans is a great storyteller of facts and figures, and I've been more proactive to find out about the positive news stories that are happening around the world!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 411 Listening Ear
    I'm really rubbish with reading books, I get distracted and bored so easily but there are a couple that i've found which are easy reads. I found them helpful because they discuss mental health in males, they made me feel less odd for having feelings lol.

The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B
    Perks of being a wallflower
    Darius the great is not okay

Also, it helps me to take a break from technology. To get out and touch grass. I think any outdoor activity can help.
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,575 Extreme Poster
    As for activity suggestions - I think nothing can beat going for a walk to just clear your head, listening to music or not. just being outside really.

I also think colouring or other artisitic-type things can be quite therapeutic and just relaxes my brain when its in stress-mode
  • lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    @JustV For books Quiet by Susan Cain is pretty good
  • Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    Something that helped me a lot was making a self care box. It usually contains things to ground you to the moment using different senses (fluffy socks for touch, a candle for smell etc). It can also include mementos of happy memories that can pull you out of a negative state and reminders to do certain grounding exercises. You could also design your box which can be a fun activity in of itself.

Kooth and Calm Harm are also really good resources.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,541 Part of The Furniture
    These are amazing!! Thank you so much everyone. Keep 'em coming.

All your suggestions go to our staff who will review them and most likely add them to the green book, unless you say something weird like 'spend all your money on marshmallows'. :tongue:
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,111 Wise Owl
    Great idea for a thread Book recommendations from me!
    Man’s search for meaning by victor frankl
    The boy the mole the fox and the horse by charlie Mackly
    A different sort of normal by Abigail balfe
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,671 The Mix Elder
    @ebyrne556 I got the book the boy, the mole, the fox and the horse and I loved that book so so much when I was going through a difficult time too!.

For me some books I would reccomend are:

The Comfort Book
    You Will get through this Night by Daniel Howell
    Can you see me (I think its called that, its a book about a neurodivergent girl who starting secondary school for the first time and it talks about her experiences)

I would also say fidget or stim toys can be useful and helpful if you waiting in busy or crowded places or even if you are feeling anxious. I got a lot of poppers toys and I recently bought a fidget cube and a fidget slug which is so adorable.

Another thing sometimes I will do is either knit or crochet because I find doing art or something crafty with my hands helps me a lot.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    @ebyrne556 @Amy22 Love The Boy The Mole the Fox and the Horse! Have either of you seen the animation for it that came out Christmas some time recent? Might've been 2022...?

@Amy22 Definitely agree with you on the fidgets - are you aware of Jazshouse? Small UK neurodivergent-owned business, amazing products, really unique. She's actually doing another drop this evening. I always struggled to find fidgets that were more minimalistic/subtle but then I found that shop and it was honestly life changing for me. SensorylabUK also has unique fidgets (stocks kaiko, and calm buddi turtles which are rare to find in the UK)
    @lunarcat522 I loved the animation so so much. I remember watching it Christmas time and I almost cried watching it. It's a beautiful and well done piece I will say if anyone wants to watch. I reccomend having a tissue box near you though as its very emotional!.

I've never heard of Jazshouse before I shall defo check that business out for sure as I do love my stim toys. I will also look at sensorylabUK as well!. I tend to get from a lot of small independant businesses and I also have got some stims from like The Works and Poundland too sometimes.
    Wait I think I know that business now and I have seen on Insta and youtube people making fidgets that you pick such as the charms you pick out and can put back in.