Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Neurodiversity Advocacy

AutisticGirlAutisticGirl Posts: 34 Boards Initiate
I'm 13 and home educated and I really want to be a neurodiversity acceptance advocate but i'm not sure how to start any advice

Comments

• genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 195 Trailblazer
    Hello @AutisticGirl ! It's amazing that you want to get involved more in your community and be an advocate for mental health support - I'm no expert but I think that volunteering might be a good way to start. By taking a more active role in helping others you may be able to share your story and learn about lived experiences that might differ from your own, which might make you a better advocate in the future. Why would you like to be a neurodiversity acceptance advocate?

I'm going to post here some opportunities which I believe could work for your goals and age group.
    'Mind' is a mental health awareness organisation with many opportunities for young people to get involved; here is the link to their volunteering page: https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering-and-participating/

In particular, the youth voice network gives you a chance to share your experiences and have your say into what the organisation does and it's open for people aged 11-24. You can also become a media volunteer and share your story (open to people aged 13 and up). They are also looking for people to share stories by blogging or vlogging so maybe you could see if that might be something you want to be involved in.

Let me know if these resources are of any help and keep us updated :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AutisticGirlAutisticGirl Posts: 34 Boards Initiate
    thank you
    I'm inspired by Siena Castellon author and autism advocate and anti-bullying campaigner who is autistic, dyslexic, dyspraxic and ADHD and she founded neurodiversity celebration week when she was only 16 which is 2 and a bit years older than i am now so she's really inspiring i'm also inspired by Chloé Hayden autistic and ADHD australian disability advocate, motivational speaker and actor. I also intend to apply for my silver and maybe gold blue peter badges if it all goes well

• ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,026 Wise Owl
    Wow that sounds amazing! Please keep us updated on how you get on. I would love to find out how your fundraising go and wishing you the best with them.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    I am thinking of once the club for neurodivergent young people which i'm planning to make is established i will try and get authors to come and do talks also Chloé Hayden offers speeches both online and in person
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,485 Community Veteran
    Hey @AutisticGirl autism advocacy and neurodiversity advocacy is so so amazing to do and as someone who also wants to ve an advocate got neurodiverse people specifically women who are neurodivergent I feel like I can really relate to what you want to do because this is something I am also considering as well. I also really love Chloe Hayden and I think she is such a fantastic person with really good insight into her own experiences. I also believe she is an actress too and I want to watch her show heartbreak high as well.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
    yes i want to watch heartbreak high but i think it's a 15 so :/ i'm only 13 2 years to go
    @AutisticGirl fingers crossed you will be able to watch it soon. I also haven't seen it but only because I haven't got the platform to watch it on sadly.
    edited June 1

I love your blog btw and I think its very brilliant and amazing!. Well done for creating it!. I also really love your drawing style as well as it looks super cool as well!.
  • BensonEBensonE Posts: 182 Helping Hand
    I do this on a small scale through my job as a youthworker I teach to teenagers that as a society we need to embrace and accept Neurodiversity