Home General Chat Polls of the Week
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Would you rather be able to play every instrument or speak every language?

Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 103 The Mix Convert
Personally, although playing every instrument was pretty appealing, I'd rather be able to speak every language. It'd make my job easier and I could go on holiday absolutely anywhere without coming across as an annoying tourist!

Would you rather be able to play every instrument or speak every language? 15 votes

Play every instrument
40%
JustVTheMixAmy22yanaIsThisJustFantasyLoz 6 votes
Speak every language
60%
Azzimansinead276ebyrne556lunarcat522Katie12AnonymousToeamy02Orchid059willowtrees 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    willowtreeswillowtrees Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Speak every language
    I would definitely like to speak every language. Imagine how much joy you would bring to other people, such as interacting with a Chinese woman in England that doesn't speak English. You would make her feel understood and heard. Or if I were to learn sign language, these minorities wouldn't feel so ignored and I'm sure that it would make their day much better.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    Play every instrument
    My first thought was 'speak every language, obviously!' for the same reasons as @willowtrees but when I thought about it I kinda thought 'I don't even travel that much, and where I do travel it's with others who know what they're doing...I'm a bit of a dumbass whether I'm trying to understand things in english or not'.

I feel like speaking every language would be really freaking cool, but as someone who has always found comfort in music and as someone who has struggled to express my emotions, I think playing every instrument would be suuuper cool. Music is so emotional and I've always wished I was really good at something like music or art where I can be creative and at least attempt to communicate the more complex emotions I'm experiencing. As well as that, I've been singing and writing songs my whole life so being able to play every instrument would be the coolest thing ever.

Sorry that reply was sooo rambley XD
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 103 The Mix Convert
    Super interesting point @yana it would be really cool to be able to articulate super complex feelings through music =)
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,152 Wise Owl
    Speak every language
    I can definitely find arguments for both - but I think I've always had a soft spot for languages (thanks to several failed Duolingo attempts during lockdown). I just think it would be cool to just speak any language you wanted to depending on the day or who you were with or where in the world you are

It would also save the awkward "do you speak english" question on holiday. But i think to be able to talk to whoever in their native language which they are more comfortable with would be awesome :3
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,167 Wise Owl
    Speak every language
    I feel like speaking every language would be more convenient, and it would really open up the different people and experiences you can expose yourself to
  • Options
    IsThisJustFantasyIsThisJustFantasy Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Play every instrument
    I see music as a powerful tool in telling a story and representing one’s world. I like how music can invite others to tune into the story and world of others, which can make listeners feel like they have been taken to a different world. The strong messages that music can communicate and the elements of music like the melody, rhythm, etc can positively influence the mood of listeners. As someone who has made up different songs in my mind, this has had a positive influence on my mood. At times, I sing these songs aloud although most of the time I do this in my head. I think having the ability to play every instrument is a fun way to experiment and create diverse music that can have a lasting impact on listeners.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,165 Community Veteran
    Play every instrument
    I also see music as a way of communication and I do love playing my guitars. I feel like music also calms me and I would love to play piano as well. Maybe I could start a one person band maybe haha and make my own songs and music. It would be interesting to have that creative freedom.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,931 Extreme Poster
    Speak every language
    This is a tough one! I'd love to do both, so torn here. I think I'd go for the languages, just because I think it's a more practical skill to have knowledge of all languages. Not only to be able to speak active ones that are in use, but also be able to keep the lesser used ones alive (as many small languages are at risk of going extinct due to globalisation and homogenisation of language).

While I can still learn and play my instruments anyways. Also, I'd be happy to not have the Duolingo owl making threats any more! =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.