Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weird sensory issues

BensonEBensonE Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
Does anyone else get a sensory overwhelm from freshly cut grass

Not hay fever but overwhelmed by the smell

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,093 Wise Owl
    Not personally, I actually like the smell of freshly cut grass. But similarly, I get overwhelmed by the smell of perfume
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    I find I get overwhelmed by the smell of tar or like car fumes. I find that I have got a strong sense of smell so sometimes things can smell 100% better or worse depending. I don't mind smellies or perfume especially lavender or vanilla because those scents calm me. But sometimes certain smells can put me off. I think grass can be one for me it depends.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 856 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya @BensonE how are u doing? I never thought about this until your post but I just realised yeah I actually do get overwhelmed by the smell!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Heya @BensonE how are u doing? I never thought about this until your post but I just realised yeah I actually do get overwhelmed by the smell!

I only noticed it myself when out on my walk recently
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    @BensonE I am quite similar to you as well especially in work because when I walk past the costume department I can smell hairspray and other spray like stuff which is quite overpowering sometimes. Also the canteen can be quite smelly.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    @BensonE I am quite similar to you as well especially in work because when I walk past the costume department I can smell hairspray and other spray like stuff which is quite overpowering sometimes. Also the canteen can be quite smelly.

Yep totally agree
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 443 Listening Ear
    @BensonE Not grass for me but I would say I'm quite smell averse to foods especially in the mornings as it just feels really overpowering or after eating as it just seems really overwhelming

I actually end up mouth breathing past places that do pastries/sausage rolls etc in the mornings as it bothers me that much - there's a place akin to Greggs that I have to walk past on my route to college that I really struggle with

It's strange because it can even be smells I would usually find nice

I also really struggle navigating cities due to the amount of smoking and vaping and the weird mix it causes
  • Options
    @BensonE Not grass for me but I would say I'm quite smell averse to foods especially in the mornings as it just feels really overpowering or after eating as it just seems really overwhelming

I actually end up mouth breathing past places that do pastries/sausage rolls etc in the mornings as it bothers me that much - there's a place akin to Greggs that I have to walk past on my route to college that I really struggle with

It's strange because it can even be smells I would usually find nice

I also really struggle navigating cities due to the amount of smoking and vaping and the weird mix it causes

It's weird and annoying
  • Options
    SindySindy Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    I get that. The smell and the feel.
    I feel u.
    It completely overwhelms me.
    Sending love n strength 💪 ❤️
  • Options
    AutisticGirlAutisticGirl Posts: 15 Settling in
    I like the smell of freshly cut grass but hate all cleaning substances and I really dislike having wet hair