Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,855 Master Poster
Eurovision is back for yet another year. The grand final is on Saturday evening.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    Ikr I can't believe Eurovision is back on again it's come so fast. I don't really follow Olly Alexander as much now as I used to but I loved the set he was on. Apparently he did say he struggled a lot singing in the semi-finals because his micphrone battery pack fell out halfway through the performance. Also baby lasgana is so amazing and that performance was so chaotic and I loved it!. I don't know if I might watch the live final on the weekend because I have't found anyone I liked personally this year but might give it a go. I also loved Ireland's song as well.

It's funny too because in my workplace we are doing a Eurovision sweepsstake and I chose Poland and Poland didn't get voted in. So I am already out haha. The thing is though I don't know what we win if our country wins. I shall have to find out next week :sweat_smile::joy::relaxed:
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 856 Part of The Mix Family
    For some reason I’ve never really got into Eurovision which is strange because I think it’s something I would quite like but I might watch the final on Saturday as Britain’s got talent not on :p
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,945 Extreme Poster
    Amy22 wrote: »
    It's funny too because in my workplace we are doing a Eurovision sweepsstake and I chose Poland and Poland didn't get voted in. So I am already out haha. The thing is though I don't know what we win if our country wins. I shall have to find out next week :sweat_smile::joy::relaxed:

Eyy that makes me happy haha. Its a shame we didn't even make it to the final :bawling: I really like our song this year for once lol, but she can't sing xD

I didnt watch the second semifinal but am watching the final atm and have to say the songs have been pretty good this year!
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,855 Master Poster
    I know that our entry wasn't exactly 1st place but we got 0 in the public vote lol.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,088 Wise Owl
    i was shocked to see us get 0 points from the public - i thought we'd have at least got a few. Although I felt this year there wasn't a stand out winner for me.

Also congrats to Switzerland on the win (and anyone who had them as a predicted winner or in a sweepstake)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    A lot of my friends on discord apparently weren't fussed on the Swizterland song I didn't know about it this year to be honest. But I did enjoy watching it. I personally felt like Croatia were robbed because their song was so fantasic!. (I personally did like Nemo though xxx)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,945 Extreme Poster
    Dancer wrote: »
    I know that our entry wasn't exactly 1st place but we got 0 in the public vote lol.

Something must have gone wrong lol, I can't believe it haha, espcially given how popular his music is already! I really liked all of Years and Years songs that always played on the radio. This song was really good, and the performance was also super cool and unique. So I was almost certain he's gonna win, I am quite confused haha. Unless he's not as popular outside the UK than I think he is??

But well done to Switzerland! Tho I was also surprised just how many points Nemo got from the juries. Yea his song is great, but I feel like there were better songs imo. But anyways, everyone wins in my book haha
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,885 Extreme Poster
    I love Eurovision, so I'm very happy to see a Eurovision thread! <3

I listened to the songs as they came out; watched the semi finals and the grand final, and my feeling towards different songs has wavered quite a bit! Overall, it was a really competitive year, with no clear frontrunner this time which made it really interesting. Hosts were great and funny; interval acts were great with some memorable returnees; and a good range of musical choices on show!

Some fantastic songs - I'd say that:
    - Ireland had the most memorable performance (and shockingly got a lot of jury points!) for a song that initially people didn't like until they saw it live!
    - Switzerland had incredible and consistent vocals and range, all while showing unbelievable balance on a spinning top - a well-deserved winner!
    - Croatia gave a lively, energetic performance that got the whole crowd singing along (even those that didn't know the song very well)!
    - Ukraine had a very well-rounded, powerful performance that gave goosebumps in how beautiful it was!

The UK probably underperformed compared to expectations. Great staging, but the concept was probably a little too much for a lot of the audience, and the vocals weren't the strongest. 0 points in the televote is of course not great, but reminder that it doesn't mean that everyone hated it - it just means that no country had the UK in their top 10. Even then, it's done better than quite a few of our other entries in recent years. And Olly was a great sport throughout!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,649 Legendary Poster
    I've got into it the past couple of years. I really am not fussed on the winning song, I preferred the Italian song, the Luxembourg song or (unpopularly it seems) Austria - WE WILL RAVE!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”