Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Struggling to sleep

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,306 Wise Owl
I have been struggling to sleep last night and I think it's been a few times this week because I have been stressed with the process of finding work, personal problems etc. I often feel tired during the day with the lack of sleep like now I do. I have been up at 1 in the morning stressing about everything and I go on my phone but I should be asleep. Its just about work like if I'll get sorted, how long it's going to be, how much I'll get paid, what job I'll get, if its a good job or not, how many hours I'll get, what people will think of my job etc. Then I have other stuff I stress in bed about too. I just have had a few nights struggling to sleep this week so wanted to talk about it.

Comments

• Options
    Orchid059Orchid059 Moderator Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Hi @FordRanger it sounds really tough what you are going through and I can understand how frustrating it must be for you. It seems like you are in a vicious cycle of stress, and lack of sleep which feed off each other. I can't remember if you said in a previous post or not but have you considered speaking to a professional counsellor about your worries as they may be able to provide you with the best support and options moving forward. Regarding the sleep I would recommend the calm app as they often have useful mindfullness audios specifically targeted for sleep: https://calm.com/. Meditation isn't for everybody but give it a few goes and you might find that it helps you.

We are always here for you- let us know how you get on <3
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Orchid059 wrote: »
    Hi @FordRanger it sounds really tough what you are going through and I can understand how frustrating it must be for you. It seems like you are in a vicious cycle of stress, and lack of sleep which feed off each other. I can't remember if you said in a previous post or not but have you considered speaking to a professional counsellor about your worries as they may be able to provide you with the best support and options moving forward. Regarding the sleep I would recommend the calm app as they often have useful mindfullness audios specifically targeted for sleep: https://calm.com/. Meditation isn't for everybody but give it a few goes and you might find that it helps you.

We are always here for you- let us know how you get on <3

@Orchid059 thanks for replying, I might have said a few times but I have found it hard to seek further help like go to a gp and gain counselling etc. I have to rely on here and other services tbh. Not trying to make excuses though but it genuinely does take courage seeking help alone and everything. I'll have a look at that link. I appreciate it a lot you're all here for me.
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @FordRanger thanks for sharing with us, I know your job search has been stressful for you <3 Have you tried different things to help you switch off and get some more sleep? Like setting aside a couple of hours before bed to do something you enjoy and feel relaxed? I hope you get some well needed rest tonight. Keep going - we are all here for you :3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @FordRanger, you're seen. I can hear how this job process is causing stress and impacting your sleep, and that's valid - it's something that you care about and that is uncertain at the moment.

You mention that you like to use this forum, and find it difficult to seek further help. Have you considered using another method as an outlet? Something like journalling can be helpful when you're feeling anxious, especially if you find yourself having the same worries/conversations with yourself over and over. Putting down our emotions into words can help to take things off your mind when you're trying to sleep :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    amy02 wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger thanks for sharing with us, I know your job search has been stressful for you <3 Have you tried different things to help you switch off and get some more sleep? Like setting aside a couple of hours before bed to do something you enjoy and feel relaxed? I hope you get some well needed rest tonight. Keep going - we are all here for you :3

@amy02 it's not easy for anyone. Yh I do maybe apply to jobs and look at them during the day instead. Hopefully I'll sleep well tonight and thanks a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger, you're seen. I can hear how this job process is causing stress and impacting your sleep, and that's valid - it's something that you care about and that is uncertain at the moment.

You mention that you like to use this forum, and find it difficult to seek further help. Have you considered using another method as an outlet? Something like journalling can be helpful when you're feeling anxious, especially if you find yourself having the same worries/conversations with yourself over and over. Putting down our emotions into words can help to take things off your mind when you're trying to sleep :)

Hey @Azziman it is causing a lot of stress and other negative emotions and it definitely something I care about.

I've not found much other ways to seek help tbh. Might be an idea to do that though. Do you have any other ideas please? Thanks for your reply again.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @FordRanger - yes of course! Another idea that I've found pretty effective is mindfulness meditation. It helps to give me head space when I'm feeling worried or stressed, and detached from those heightened emotions. There are apps like Headspace that are great for this :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.