Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You’re more than just a diagnosis (TW: experiences being sectioned / in a seclusion room)

dyoverdxdyoverdx Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
edited March 25 in Health & Wellbeing
In my neighbourhood we had a person who had schizophrenia. He was known as just that. A“
As a layperson would say he was a “crazy person”.
But in hindsight this schizophrenic was still a person. A human being, with feelings and needs. He was somebody’s son. He had a history, a family, a life before his breakdown.

So I understand that a lot of us have mental problems here but don’t become your diagnosis. In other words, don’t give up on yourself, no matter how hard it gets. Don’t let the b*stards grind you down.

I’ve been branded by the system. I spent my teens and early adulthood in hospital, sectioned and labelled. I’ve done unspeakable things to people and myself.

TW - experiences being sectioned / in a seclusion room
On my 18th birthday I was trapped like an animal in a seclusion room. That birthday is a rite of passage and I’ll never get it back; I couldn’t even ring my family. I entered adulthood, alone in a blue prison cell with someone watching over me. Analysing me like the case study I was to them.
As time went on I couldn’t take it. I missed my family. I missed my friends. I felt really depressed.
I intended to harm myself.
They restrained me.
The minutes turned to hours.
They grabbed me and pinned me down one time. The nurse came in with a needle and drugged me up with haloperidol and lorazepam.
I only had finger foods on a paper plate. Even then group of them people came just in case, and then they just left me there.

I wasn’t seen as an individual. Just another “head case”. This was a low point in my life and it pains me remembering it. I’m not so young anymore and prevent this from happening to other people.

But nowadays, instead of not taking responsibility for my actions and blaming my diagnosis I do the contrary. I have an illness so what can I do to prevent it as much as possible?
There’s medication and they remedy my symptoms but I’m a worrier and I overthink things so I use therapy too. I’m not saying my life is perfect but it is compared to before.

When an elephant is young and tied to a tree by a rope, it cannot break free because it is weak.
As an adult it has the strength but it still believes that it can’t do it so it just stays there, bound by the tree.

You’re more than just a diagnosis. Remember that.
“Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore.”
Post edited by Gemma on

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @dyoverdx This is a really profound post with a really important message, thank you for opening up to share your experiences <3
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us @dyoverdx I'm sure this will resonate with people here <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Echoing what @lunarcat522 has said, thank you for sharing your story here @dyoverdx. A really emotional read, and an important message that comes from it - well said. I'm glad to hear that you're in a better place now <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.