Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off mental health medication 💊

PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
Hi guys - any advice/support, especially from anyone who's done this, would be a huge help!
So I've been on sertraline (an SSRI anti-depressant medication) for anxiety for a couple of years now, having started at uni when my mental health was really bad. My anxiety and self-esteem issues are still around, but the anxiety especially is much milder and I'm generally feeling and doing much better now- been meditating, journalling, working on body neutrality etc. I have other reasons, but long story short it feels like a good time to stop.
That said, I'm still nervous about stopping - even though it feels like the right decision. (My doctor didn't push me into this, to be clear: I was due a med review anyway and brought it up during the appointment.) I'm obviously a big afraid that my anxiety might get worse again without the meds - occasionally I've had mini-existential crisis moments, like "I don't know who I am without it 😭" 🤦‍♀️😊 I mean I know I've also worked on my mental health with food choices, breathing exercises and various other stuff. But still, the meds have been a constant in my life for a pretty long time, and I'm nervous about what's going to happen once I don't have that.
Just wondering if anyone can give advice about ways to help with the transition (although luckily my GP said withdrawal symptoms with this particular medication aren't v common). And maybe if there's anything I can do to get professional support eg counselling? (I know I could bring this up with my GP, but I guess we all know what NHS mental health waiting lists can be like!)
Anyway, thanks for reading this marathon of a post! 😂 Sending virtual hugs to anyone also going through this ❤️

Comments

• Options
    LozLoz Community Champion Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
    Hi @PenguinSky

In terms of the transition, I haven't got proper experience of it. Any medication I have been on I've only ever been on for a very short time. Sorry!
    And maybe if there's anything I can do to get professional support eg counselling?

If you are still in uni, maybe they have some counseling service they could refer you to?
    "My darkside won today" - DArkSide by BMTH
  • Options
    Hey @Loz , I'm not at uni anymore so can't use those services. Thanks anyway, rlly appreciate the support ❤️
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    You’re going about this in the right way by speaking with your doctor. I didn’t, i took myself off mine during a period of self destruction, but honestly I haven’t felt any worse without it. This is just my experience but I didn’t have any withdrawals (I was on flouxetine). I guess if you do feel worse without it the medication will always be there, you can always go back to your doctor and ask to go back on it. I’m hoping to avoid going back on mine but it’s an option I know is there if all else fails.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey @PenguinSky, I can hear that you're concerned about coming off medication. It's good to hear that you've made changes to improve your lifestyle - that being said, it's understandable to be anxious about stopping medication, given that you're used to having them!

Has the doctor mentioned anything how they suggest coming off the medication? The important things to remember is that you should do it with guidance with your doctor. Normally, they will reduce your dose over time, so that your body has time to adjust slowly, and they'll monitor how it goes. So if reducing the dose actually makes things worse, they may revert you back to a higher dose. Rest assured, it probably won't be withdrawn all at once, and you'll have support to monitor and see how the changes affect you.

I think it's a good idea to seek some sort of counselling support - generally, that can be helpful for your mental wellbeing, but especially when going through a change like this. They can provide support and guidance as you need. You could speak to your GP to see what services they have available, or if they can refer you to someone who can support?

I can understand that this kind of change can be scary! But you've made good changes to improve your wellbeing; support will still be on hand through the process; and if you're able to come off medication and live well, then that's no bad direction :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thanks @independent_ , hope you're doing OK 🥰
  • Options
    edited February 14
    Hey @Azziman - to be clear I've already talked with my gp who then prescribed me the lower dose. The Dr said most people don't get withdrawal symptoms, and we could revisit after 1 month. I've just nervous about how I'm going to feel once I'm off it, mostly! But thanks for the lovely advice 🥰
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    @PenguinSky just a quick mod note - I removed the dosages from your post as per the guidelines. No biggie, we're just wary of other people self-medicating based on forum guidance. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.