Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

gcse options

libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 588 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi so very soon ill be picking my gcses and ngl i have no fucking idea abt what im picking, i hate all the subjects and im not good at any either. any suggestions or advice?

thanks
'told myself that you were right for me, but felt so lonely in your company'
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,022 Wise Owl
    You must have skills in some areas? Surely there are at least subjects that you hate the least? If you truly hate them all then think about what you could tolerate doing.
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 588 Incredible Poster
    @AnonymousToe im telling u i have no skills to speak of im shit at basically everything :#
    'told myself that you were right for me, but felt so lonely in your company'
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    That sounds really difficult to need to be picking GCSE subjects especially if there aren’t really any you like. How many do you have to pick as optional ones @libbystrawberry could you maybe start crossing off ones you definitely don’t want to do and then see from the rest which you would prefer.

The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,804 Master Poster
    @libbystrawberry Have you considered maybe taking BTECs? They`re available in a variety of subjects so it could give you a new experience. If you`re struggling with Maths and English, there are entry level or functional skills qualifications available.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 645 Incredible Poster
    Might be a long shot but is there any kind of job or career that you'd like after school? You could pick your options based on whether they are relevant to the kind of job you want. I also agree into looking at BTEC options- they are more practical and help you to prepare for specific jobs e.g. animal care, agriculture, hairdressing, catering, vehicle engineering and many more.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 933 Part of The Mix Family
    My advice is gonna be so shit lol, but I just picked all the fun ones - made things kinda easier for me lol. Just so you know GCSEs aren't the be all or end all of your whole future like some people make it out to be, I failed all mine but doing much better studying what I enjoy with loads of great experiences with it too
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    Picking your GCSEs can be such a hard decision especially if you're not sure what you want to do because i always felt like the decision happened too quickly! I ended up picking subjects that i thought would open lots of opportunities by doing a language, humanity and technology but honestly i wish i had chosen subjects that i enjoyed more. definitely didn't need to put pressure on myself because the choices i made had no difference in what i am doing now!! Are their any options that you have not studied before? Might be a good idea to try something new? might be the subject that works best for you :)
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,804 Master Poster
    edited January 24
    My advice is gonna be so shit lol, but I just picked all the fun ones - made things kinda easier for me lol. Just so you know GCSEs aren't the be all or end all of your whole future like some people make it out to be, I failed all mine but doing much better studying what I enjoy with loads of great experiences with it too

Yeah I agree that it`s easier to pick subjects that you know you will enjoy but are also useful for in the future. I chose 2 practical subjects (Dance and Photography,) 1 subject I had never done before (Health and Social Care) and 1 subject that was going to be useful (Spanish.) I also had to choose a PE subject so I chose Sports Leadership as it sort of linked with something else I was already doing outside of school. I also had to choose either Religious Studies or Citizenship so I chose Citizenship as I wasn`t doing very well in Religious Studies at KS3 and I also know that I wouldn`t have enjoyed it.

If I`m being completely honest though, do not choose Sports Leadership as it is the biggest waste of time. Basically all you had to do to pass the course was turn up to the lessons. There was no exam and you were assessed basically through being observed by the teacher and doing a booklet. Thankfully that course was a level 1 so it was only a one year course. In year 11 I did Core PE but we got to choose what we wanted to do out of a choice of different activities. My favourite part of year 11 PE was spending half a term doing Just Dance (and totally not trying to get 2 of the PE teachers to do a Dirty Dancing duet.) Some schools get students to do some sort of PE qualification like Sports Leadership, Dance Leadership or DofE whilst other schools just do Core PE so it`s not actually a qualification.

I admit that when I did my GCSE`s, I didn`t really achieve the best grades but sometimes it`s not really about getting all 8`s and 9`s. Now in sixth form, I`m getting to do what I love (Health and Social Care, Photography and Performing Arts.) Even with my 4`s and 5`s, it hasn`t completely defined me. I might not be able to get into Oxford but even someone with all 9`s at GCSE might not be able to.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous