Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Claims that relationships are compulsory

DavidDavid Posts: 92 Budding Regular
Many people tell me that being single is inherently wrong, not a valid option & even that all single men are habitual criminals. Many have told me that the vast majority of people are in relationships & by not being in one I'm the odd-one-out who's not doing my duty. Some claim that being single is an indication of being lazy, ugly, insane, stupid, irresponsible, immature etc. How can I defend myself against these frequent false claims?

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 645 Incredible Poster
    Maybe you could just ignore and spend less time with the people that say these things? You don't need to defend yourself if it's really not the other person's business at all.

Many people are single. Some are happy with it, some aren't. But it's not inherently wrong or an invalid option. And it definitely doesn't mean that those who are single are on the path of criminality or are lazy or ugly or anything else for that matter. There's no rule or universal truth that claims that people who aren't in a relationship are any of these things.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,027 Community Veteran
    The thing with being single is that there is nothing wrong about being single at all. The thing is not all relationships are compulsary or mandatory. In fact you don't need to be in a relationship to feel happy or successful. As a single person myself I feel like I don't necessarily need to find someone just yet until I feel ready to. There is no right or wrong answer to being single and I wish that more people were more understanding of this. I think that it would be good to maybe not listen to those people who tell you that being single is wrong or that you are missing out which you aren't at all. Sometimes people can often judge and misunderstand the meaning of relationships and sometimes a relationship can be just you where you look after yourself mainly. Im sorry to hear that you had to experience this lately. Im always here if you need someone to talk to <3.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    James_SJames_S Posts: 4 Newbie
    I agree with everything in this thread. The main problem is dealing with the way people perceive you. If they dislike single people and view them as lonely rejects, you're not likely to change their minds, so they'll dislike you.