Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Definitions n stuff

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,983 Community Veteran
Wat is autism, d.i.d, adhd? Is tht stuff in encyclopedia
Nd my grandma (b*tch) soz, sed 'you're looking worse 4 wear this morning' r they normally rude. Why can't I insult her back n say she's in the wrong?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @ellie2000 sorry to hear what was said. Sometimes when people say something unintentionally hurtful it can be useful to offer your perspective instead of insulting back. Perhaps if it happens again you could just let her know that it doesn't make you feel good?
  • Options
    ItaliaItalia Posts: 221 Trailblazer
    Hey Ellie,

Oh this sounds really tough and hurtful. I'm sorry to hear your Grandma hurt your feelings. I agree with what Amy said above, if she does it again, let her know that it hurts your feelings if that feels safe and comfy for you.

I hope you're doing okay. <3

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• Options
    @Italia @amy02 Wat is autism, d.i.d, adhd? Is tht stuff in encyclopedia
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    @Italia @amy02 I steered gmas conversation away frm death to the orions belt 😊
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

The link above is really helpful when you want to know what autism and adhd (and yes, they can be found in an encyclopedia). Basically, someone who is autistic might find certain things difficult e.g. making friends, communicating, sensory differences (not liking noises that are too loud or certain textures). But they might also have strong interests and might also have strong friendships with 1-2 people. Someone with ADHD might typically struggle with concentrating, remembering things, losing track of time, acting without thinking first. But they might also be quite creative. These are just a basic example of autism and ADHD- there's a lot more to it than what I've said here. In fact, some people might have both autism and ADHD! If you want to learn more about autism, you can check out the national autistic society https://www.autism.org.uk/ and for ADHD you can check out ADHD UK https://adhduk.co.uk/about-adhd/

D.I.D, I'm assuming is dissociative identity disorder. This is a mental disorder and is also known as having multiple personalities. This is more likely to be diagnosed in someone who has been abused as a child (and spaced out and created multiple personalities to cope with the abuse) but it can also be misdiagnosed as some people who are autistic or have ADHD may change their personalities to fit in with others (if they feel that they will be misunderstood if they are themselves).

As for your grandma, even though what she said sounded upsetting to you, maybe it was her way of trying to show concern for you? But if there is a next time you could just let her know that what she said upset you (rather than insulting her which might just make things worse).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ItaliaItalia Posts: 221 Trailblazer
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    @Italia @amy02 Wat is autism, d.i.d, adhd? Is tht stuff in encyclopedia

@ellie2000 that sounds like a really good idea. Well done!

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown