Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

College support staff aren't there when you need them funnily enough (Rant)

cherrybluceoc84cherrybluceoc84 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In short I'm doing a 1 year college course and have sessions with pastoral support for some health related issues I have that affect me at college and daily. I haven't had one of these sessions for around 2 weeks due to the person having a holiday for around a week. I had a quick chat with her in the morning before my lesson and she arranged our next session for after the half term. Later in the week I messaged her about how I was feeling (on that day) but she didn't reply which was alright but I realised I was having one of my bad days and decided to go to the student support hub which is basically an open space area where you can talk to support staff about your mental health and wellbeing etc. To my surprise no one was there, later on while in lesson, I asked my teacher if I could leave to see if anyone was there but it was still empty and basically shut up.
Fast forward to the next day when I was feeling much better, I messaged my achievement tutor and told her that I had a bad day previous. Then she asked me if I had gone to student support and I told her what the situation was, then she asked about my pastoral support who hadn't even read my message at that point. It was nice to see that staff were at the hub the next day so people who needed support weren't left feeling like me the day prior. I know they could have been busy or maybe on lunch but at least expected one person to be there but oh well.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 669 Incredible Poster
    Sorry to hear that you have been reaching out for support, only to find that it's not been there!

Of course staff will have time off, but it sounds like it would've been better if there had been other staff available e.g. when you went to message pastoral support and she didn't respond and also when you went to the student support hub.

I'm glad you were able to check in with your achievement tutor and told her about the lack of support you had on a bad day. Perhaps you could talk to your pastoral support when she is back from holiday, as well as the staff at the hub so that they can either a) plan in advance what to do when staff aren't there e.g. could they get other staff who are free to man the support hub? or b) let students know in advance when they won't be able to provide support due to lack of staff and suggest alternatives instead.

Good to know that the support staff where there the next day though! Hope it doesn't happen to you, or anyone else, again though <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,112 Community Veteran
    Sorry to hear that happened to you @cherrybluceoc84 I bet that was super frustrating. I had a similar time like that in college where i had to book a meeting for my 1 to 1 support. Hopefully when they do come back, you can talk to them proper about things <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films