Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hi everyone!

catherines03catherines03 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
Hello!

I'm excited to be joining The Mix community and connecting with lots of people - I'm really passionate about supporting other people and their mental health, having faced some challenges of my own, so I'm hoping that I can be there for other people whether they want advice or just a listening ear!

I'm 20 years old and studying English Literature, French and Dutch at the University of Sheffield. As you can guess from my degree, I love reading and learning languages. I learnt French at school and decided it to study it with English at university, and when I arrived, I had the opportunity to take another language so I picked Dutch! I've loved learning it so far, and I'm currently in the Netherlands to practice it for a semester.

My favourite books are romance or coming-of-age, but I do also love psychological thrillers - they're so gripping! If anyone's got any recommendations I'm always trying to read more!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend :)

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Hi @Cathrines03 welcome to the Mix :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Hi @catherines03 welcome! An English literature degree sounds really interesting! What kind of books do you like reading?
  • Options
    sputniksputnik Posts: 82 Budding Regular
    Hey @catherines03 welcome! Nice to meet you :blush: Language is fascinating! Do you like the Netherlands? :)
    I know you fought hard as hell

but let this sink in

you do not have to fight by yourself

~ lyrics from Willow by The Little Unsaid
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Welcome @catherines03, happy to have you on board! Let us know if you need any help finding your way around the forum :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    hi @catherines03 , welcome! your degree sounds very interesting!
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Hey @catherines03 - welcome to The Mix, it’s great to have you here!

You degree sounds so interesting! How are you enjoying your time in The Netherlands? I’m also studying English but language rather than literature, although I often wish I had chosen literature as I love reading - Ann Cleeves is one of my favourite authors who has written psychological thrillers!

I look forward to seeing you around😊
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 yes I really love it! I've read a lot of older books as part of my degree but I really love contemporary fiction, especially romance novels!
  • Options
    @sputnik thank you! I love learning languages haha, and I'm enjoying the netherlands apart from being a bit homesick and not being very good at cycling!
  • Options
    @Azziman thank you so much, I appreciate it!
  • Options
    @Katie12 thank you I'm really enjoying it so far! a lot of people really look down on humanities degrees but I am getting so much out of mine!
  • Options
    @LydsRose9 hi! English language is so cool too- are you enjoying it so far? Will have to check out Ann Cleves, thank you!

I'm enjoying being in the Netherlands, thank you, it's a little overwhelming settling in but overall good!
  • Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    edited September 2023
    Hi @catherines03

Welcome, it’s great to have you here! I’m also love reading, I enjoy the same genres as you too, I also love dark romance.

Have you read anything good recently?
    Always looking for more books to add to be never ending tbr 😅🫣
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,064 Wise Owl
    hi and welcome @catherines03
  • Options
    @fiona333 hi! I read 'the silent patient' recently and loved it, very dark and gripping!
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 462 Listening Ear
    Hi @catherines03, welcome to our community! I also share your interest in languages!! I also learned French and have decided to continue learning it by myself now! It’s such a wonderful sounding language :3 learning Dutch sounds amazing too! I hope everything is going well, and I look forward to seeing you around at the boards :3<3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hiya @catherines03 It's nice to meet you! I've already seen you around and you replied to my stuff already but I haven't properly welcomed you. So hi, its great to have you here!! Hope you're doing alright :)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @catherines03 Welcome to the community!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    EmmaLou30EmmaLou30 Moderator Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    Hi @catherines03 ! Welcome to TheMix ! Your degree sounds so interesting! Are you enjoying your time in the Netherlands so far ? :)
    Em
    Forum Moderator