Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Negative experiences and low self esteem

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 189 Helping Hand

Hello.

I have been in a low mood.

I have struggled to move on from negative experiences and cope with the effects of my autism not being understood. My dad said he did not want to hear about my autism and would treat me as annoying. I shared with my last university mentor that some feedback made me upset. He gave his opinion and, halfway through, noted that employers would not care about my feelings. He would tell me to estimate how long it would take me to complete assignment tasks without considering that my autism makes me learn and do activities differently. So, I felt he placed unreachable expectations on me. He said that I should have a list of mental health tools ready when I am struggling emotionally, which felt like he did not acknowledge that it can be difficult sometimes. He told me it is not good to stress too much, which made me feel judged for feeling stressed. My feelings about my autism not being understood at home have resurged. I have felt that my dad does not understand that I learn things in a different way, which changes how I know cooking. I felt a past support worker supported my dad when she comforted me. I saw this couple today, which reminded me of when my dad would make a hurtful comment about my sensitivity, making me unfit for a relationship.

I have not felt confident in myself today. I was walking in the city centre feeling incautious because I had felt personally attacked when people told me to be careful when I made careless mistakes.

Comments

• Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Creativeboy23 , it's brave to share these. When it comes to understanding and coping with autism, it can be helpful to connect with support networks, both online and in-person. Many individuals with autism find solace in communities where they can share experiences and strategies for dealing with challenges. Additionally, consider discussing your feelings and experiences with a therapist or counselor who has experience in working with individuals with autism. They can provide valuable insights and coping strategies tailored to your unique needs.

You can consider engaging in activities that bring you comfort and joy, whether it's pursuing hobbies, spending time with supportive friends, or practicing relaxation techniques. Remember that your worth is not defined by the understanding or opinions of others. You are unique and valuable just as you are, and there are people and resources available to help you navigate life's challenges and better understand and appreciate yourself. We're here to listen and support too! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options

Hello @Terry8936.

I have tried to share similar feelings in the community on the National Autistic Society, but it does not seem very active. However, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

That is true. I will try to remember that.

Thanks for your support.
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya @Creativeboy23 How are you doing now? Im hearing the national autsitc society arent the best for support as they are quite inactive altho i know ambitious about autism are another really great charity im not sure if you have heard of them but they have a lot of peer support and also a lot of resources on their website. Ill pop the link in here it might not be for you but theirs also the opprtunity to get involved and get paid for it! Their Is also the neurodiverse self advocacy websites which I've heard has been quite helpful and has similar support/resources. Hope these are helpful. We are here for you and sending hugs and positivity <3

https://ndsa.uk/content/
    https://www.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options

Hello @ebyrne556.

That is correct.

Yes. I heard of the charity. Thanks for the links. I appreciate your help. <3
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2023
    A fellow autistic here @Creativeboy23! I can really hear how you do not feel understood or heard right now - both inside and outside of your family :/

Would you like to talk to us more about how you are currently feeling and if there's anything you would find more helpful? We are here with you <3
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Hello @Laura_tigger82.

It is nice to have a fellow autistic who can turn to.

I keep having memories which have caused me to feel very low. Today, they were about when he would bring up people close to me when making comments and other things I cannot remember. I was having angry thoughts. Yesterday, they were about my last University mentor, who would have perceived critical conversations with me in our sessions, which came across as a judgement of who I am. Another was about my mentor expecting me to think about exercise when I was experiencing emotional difficulties, which made me feel he did not understand my experience. I have struggled to cope with my brother's hurtful comments about my body. I am still determining what would be more helpful. I am struggling to think of solutions. Thanks for asking and for your help.

How are you currently feeling?
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Creativeboy23, it sounds like recalling those memories has made you feel worse lately, and that's completely understandable. It can be hard to be reminded of difficult times, when we don't feel understood or respected.

It's okay to not know what would be helpful at the moment - often, we need to take some time to figure out what kind of support we'd like, so there's no rush. And we're not going anywhere, so as and when you feel like you want a kind of support, we'll be here for you :)
  • Options

Hello @Azziman.

They have made me feel worse lately. They have been distressing and getting me down.

That is true. We often do need some time.

Thanks for your support.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I can definitely say, from experience, those with lived experience tend to be more empathetic and similar to us in understanding, don't they @Creativeboy23? It is almost like these people are rare to find but when we find them they see us through a different lens.

These things can continue to feel really difficult but some of the weight can be lifted by finding more empathetic and understanding people. Whilst we often hold onto the pain, these people can give us hope.

Do you have anyone at the moment who 'just gets' autism? When you are having a particularly difficult and emotional time, it is particularly important to feel like you can be yourself around people and feel safe and supported.

What does coping look like for you? You are doing really well to try and determine what will be more helpful for you, despite how difficult this can be. Solutions often look different between different people and between different moments.

Here for you if you would like to talk through this further and try to navigate what coping and solutions might look like for you at the moment <3
  • Options
    DizzyIzzyDizzyIzzy Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey, I'm sorry this is going on :/ it sucks when people close to you don't understand things that really affect you. Especially when it's a parent! They really know how to push your buttons and make you feel worthless.
    I'm not surprised your self esteem is so low right now when you've got so many different people (who are meant to support you) invalidating your very real issues.

I think it might be a good idea to take some time for self-care and remind yourself just how amazing you are and that everything you're doing, you're not only doing with a very debilitating disorder but also without a real support network. Although it's really upsetting that these people aren't helping in the ways the should, it's also so impressive that you're continuing despite it.

I just want to say I'm proud of you.

Are you still at uni/ did you get a new mentor?
  • Options

Hello @Laura_tigger82.

That is true. Well said.

No. I do not think I do. However, I have made some other autistic friends. So I could try sharing my feelings with them when they return.

I am still trying to identify a coping technique for me.

I do not want to discuss it further, but thanks for offering. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Hello @DizzyIzzy.

I could not agree more. Thanks.

No. I am not at university any more. I am a job seeker now.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    It is positive that you have made some other autistic friends @Creativeboy23. Do you know when they return? Talking to people who understand sound really helpful for you and hopefully they will return soon. How are you finding the job seeking at the moment? :)
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Hello @Laura_tigger82.

Yes. It is positive.

I was meant to say I would share my feelings with them once I feel them again.

I am finding the job seeking okay. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    JimetteJimette Posts: 85 Budding Regular
    Hi, @Creativeboy23 hope you are doing well :fearful:
    Wild Hearts Never Die~ >:3
  • Options

Hello @Jimette.

I am doing alright. I hope you are doing well.