Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eating takeaways

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,382 Wise Owl
edited September 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
I'm worried about ending up ill with a bad illness or something. I've been having an average of 1 to 2 takeaways the past few weeks for different reasons like being out with friends or with family etc. If I'm out with friends they get food and I get tempted as well because you get left out when everyone is just eating takeaway and you're not. I had KFC both last week and this week when I met my friends. I have had takeaway with family as well because they were all getting it. I cant garantee I wont have any more like this week tbh because I might be meeting my friends again then if theyre like go for food Ill feel left out going home but worried if I join them for food Ill end up getting ill, its just hard to say no especially when youre hungry. I sometimes just get scared worried I will get bad health issues or like obese or something. I sometimes get indigestion. A few weeks ago it was bad so I was stressing a bit worried I have a health issue or something because I think it was caused by a takeaway but I had some Rennie tablets which helped. I just worry about my health sometimes.

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,321 Part of The Furniture
    Takeaway doesn't have to mean unhealthy - some takeaway is just like home cooking but someone else has made it for you. I'm a big foodie so I tend to get some kind of takeaway at least once a week, sometimes more, but I do try to balance the type of food I'm eating.

I would say it's really unlikely that you'll end up with an illness or serious health condition just from eating takeaway a couple times a week, especially when you're young. When I first moved to London at 20 years old, I lived on takeaway pizza, sandwiches, chinese and all sorts.

If you start feeling rough then it might be worth listening to that and maybe changing up the type of takeaway you're having. I know for me if I eat too much greasy food it tends to make me feel crappy, and I might compensate for it by eating more wholesome things that make me feel good and give me lots of energy - beans, rice, etc. I find balance helps.

That was a whole ramble! I do get the social pressure - it's difficult not to eat with the crowd when you're around family and friends. Do you tend to enjoy the food you eat with them?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    JustV wrote: »
    Takeaway doesn't have to mean unhealthy - some takeaway is just like home cooking but someone else has made it for you. I'm a big foodie so I tend to get some kind of takeaway at least once a week, sometimes more, but I do try to balance the type of food I'm eating.

I would say it's really unlikely that you'll end up with an illness or serious health condition just from eating takeaway a couple times a week, especially when you're young. When I first moved to London at 20 years old, I lived on takeaway pizza, sandwiches, chinese and all sorts.

If you start feeling rough then it might be worth listening to that and maybe changing up the type of takeaway you're having. I know for me if I eat too much greasy food it tends to make me feel crappy, and I might compensate for it by eating more wholesome things that make me feel good and give me lots of energy - beans, rice, etc. I find balance helps.

That was a whole ramble! I do get the social pressure - it's difficult not to eat with the crowd when you're around family and friends. Do you tend to enjoy the food you eat with them?

I do eat not the healthiest ones tbh like, McDonald's, KFC, Indian, local takeaways. I enjoy the food mostly yh. I think I'm just overthinking it. I think I'll be fine if I don't make a habit of several a week.
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Hey @FordRanger !

I completely understand why you would have concerns about this, especially with all of the scaremongering in the media about so-called ‘junk food’.

However, from the sounds of it, although you’ve had a couple of takeaways a week for the past few weeks, I would in no way say that this is regular, especially not enough to cause illness. I know that I have absolutely done this in the past and am fine, but as @JustV says, if you feel rough maybe have a break from the takeaways - I’m sure your friends and family will understand😊
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,902 Extreme Poster
    Hey @FordRanger - to echo what's been said above, a takeaway meal isn't always the healthiest option, but a couple a week is completely fine. Our bodies are resilient enough to handle some unhealthy food :)

That being said, I can understand the peer pressure element is hard to say no to! After all, you're out with your friends, so you want to join in. It then depends on personal boundaries. So for instance, if you're really not keen on getting that food, you might switch to a couple starters instead. If you're with your friends, it's okay to say that you're not feeling the food that day - they're your friends, they'll care more that you're in each others company :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger - to echo what's been said above, a takeaway meal isn't always the healthiest option, but a couple a week is completely fine. Our bodies are resilient enough to handle some unhealthy food :)

That being said, I can understand the peer pressure element is hard to say no to! After all, you're out with your friends, so you want to join in. It then depends on personal boundaries. So for instance, if you're really not keen on getting that food, you might switch to a couple starters instead. If you're with your friends, it's okay to say that you're not feeling the food that day - they're your friends, they'll care more that you're in each others company :)

True
  • Options
    LydsRose9 wrote: »
    Hey @FordRanger !

I completely understand why you would have concerns about this, especially with all of the scaremongering in the media about so-called ‘junk food’.

However, from the sounds of it, although you’ve had a couple of takeaways a week for the past few weeks, I would in no way say that this is regular, especially not enough to cause illness. I know that I have absolutely done this in the past and am fine, but as @JustV says, if you feel rough maybe have a break from the takeaways - I’m sure your friends and family will understand😊

Yh true about the media scaremongering, that's true in general sometimes lol.

Im probably just overthinking it all.