Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What would people think about a neurodivergent category?

ErrrrinErrrrin Deactivated Posts: 275 The Mix Regular
Hello,

Ive been wondering what it would be like to have a category or subcategory on the boards dedicated to neurodiversity. I know it may not be possible but i wanted hear what other people think about it?

Everyones brain is different but the term neurodivergent is used to describe people who think differently.
The word Neurodivergent refers to individuals with a variety of different conditions.
Including but not limited to:
ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Autism, Epilepsy, Bipolar, Torrettes and many more others.

People who are not neurodivergent are referred to as neurotypical.

I personally think having a space dedicated to neurodiversity could help inspire more conversations and help neurodivergent individuals as well as helping other individuals to learn more about it and ask questions they may have.

Talking to other people about being autistic has helped me a lot. Because sometimes theres things i do or struggle with or things i like that i didn't realise other autistic individuals experience too.

I also find it helpful to talk to people with other conditions like ADHD as it helps me to understand them. For example I use communication cards and I found it helpful to learn what fonts and colours are easiest for most people to read.

And no person is the same, theres no one size fits all approach. Something that helps me may not help someone else. But i think having a space to comfortably talk and discuss these things would be really helpful.

I know theres times i do things people don't understand like stimming. Some days im not in the headspace to explain why i do the things i do. I think having a safe place we can talk about things is important.

We already have health and wellbeing but i wonder if people would talk more about neurodiversity if we had a dedicated category. And if people have questions or want to learn things it could make it easier for people to acces posts about being neurodiversity.

However i also understand that having an area dedicated to neurodiversity could leave others feeling excluded.

It would be a space for everyone a place people can learn and ask questions but i understand that still may leave people feeling not included. It would be great if anyone had any ideas on how to overcome this?

Id love to hear what other people would think about having a neurodivergent category

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,058 Community Veteran
    As a fellow neurodiverse user this would be a brilliant idea, as it kind of has it's own subcatergory for neurodiverse related subjects and things, as I know most things on the thread may be just neurotypical based. So having a section for neurodiverse topics would be very helpful I even thought potentially having articles on stuff such as adhd and autism would be so handy and helpful <3 it would be nice to have an area dedicated to that stuff
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    KBee99KBee99 Posts: 66 Boards Initiate
    I think this is a great idea! I also know that a lot autistic individuals preferred way of communicating is via computers/technology so I believe it would be a very helpful category for the mix.