Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

anyone emancipated

Maria2008Maria2008 Posts: 146 Helping Hand
edited August 2023 in Sex & Relationships
hi guys
just need a little advice has anyone got emancipated before coz i really am starting to consider as my only option or even moving out at 16 idk anymore its confusing
Post edited by Laura_tigger82 on

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Maria2008. Thank you for reaching out to us - I can really hear how difficult it is for you at home at the moment. Can you share a little more about what you mean by "emancipated" in this context? We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emancipation of a minor is it possible at 16 in the uk thank you for supporting me
  • Options
    i just want to know from someone who has experienced it is it a difficult process and what do the courts even look at
  • Options
    We need to know what you mean by "emancipated" before we are able to support you further with this I am afraid @Maria2008. There are many different definitions of "emancipated" / "emancipation". We are all here to support you but we need to hear you as clearly as we can. This will help us to help you the best we can :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    basiaclly the legal way in which your freed from control of a parent as well as they are freed from the responsibility of the child although if i do i understand i have to prove that im financially stable and can provide and look after myself so the easiest way to go about it is running away when im 16 and best to have support from friends and yh
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hi @Maria2008, I understand you're looking for support around emancipation. As a general rule, your parents have a legal responsibility towards your care until the age of 18, which includes having a safe place to live. Before the age of 16, you'd have to go through local services to be able to do this. And between 16-18, you'd need a guarantor for your rent, which is likely to be your parents in most situations, and they'd also likely need to support you financially to live as you may not earn enough to pay your own way.

You can find more information about it through the NSPCC: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/in-the-home/moving-out/
  • Options
    thnx so much @Azziman i didnt know about the gaurantor thing
  • Options
    How are things for you this week @Maria2008?
  • Options
    umm idk the day you posted @Laura_tigger82 was the day i was born and the day i get closer to death each year and it was bad until today i gues ive just processed it now that i am older than before
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,647 Legendary Poster
    As far I’m aware you can’t get emancipated in the UK, that’s a very american thing. But you can move out at 16. Which part of the UK are you in?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    west midlands so no not america thnx @independent_
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Im not much of an expert on this but I did see your post about wanting to get emancipated and thought I might share some stuff eventhough im no expert or have no experience of this at all. That does sound like a lot for you to go through especially if you feel like you are not comfortable with living at home. I know that I think at age sixteen you are able to move out of your home, however there would be a lot to consider such as housing, paying rent and lots more too. I know that some areas offer shelter places too for young people who don't feel comfortable living at home and they provide support and help for those who want to leave home at a young age. I don't know if you can be emancipated in the UK but if it is a thing I have a feeling it might court case based, obviously I'm no expert so what I might be saying may not be right but I have a feeling it might be case related as you'd need enough evidence to show that your not comfortable living with your parents and that you want to live on your own. Hope your okay,

<3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Amy22 obvs i did further research on emancipation by talking to an online family attorney and i would have to travel very far to become emancipated which would cost a lot so my best option for now is probably the shelter or my mates my bf at the last resort and yh i guess im ok when i chat to people and look at peoples make up to criticise everything about it =) X)
  • Options
    @Maria2008 yeah I think it may look like the UK don't have emancipation just yet so you may have to wait until your sixteen before you can move out <3 always here if you need anything
  • Options
    thank you @Amy22 for always being here when i needed someone xx
  • Options
    @Maria2008 honestly no worries that is what I am here for, if you need anything Im always here. <3 even if you need to dm too
  • Options
    thnx @Amy22 your so kind <3