Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Counciling

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
I went for the first one today, I asked if they could up my sessions more than 8 is tht possible on can they do without permission anyway?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• lunarcat522lunarcat522 Moderator Posts: 608 Incredible Poster
    For free counselling services it tends to have a cap on sessions due to waiting lists etc but in some circumstances they allow for individuals to get extended session. It would be worth having a chat about towards the end of the 8 sessions. In my experience I had 8 sessions and I was really distressed after they ended as it felt too quick so I got a lecturer to advocate for me as she could see how badly it impacted me, which resulted me getting another block of 8 sessions. They tend to limit sessions due to funding but may be flexible in certain circumstances. It doesn't hurt to ask. They may ask why you would benefit from extra sessions so I would be prepared to explain that.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    edited August 2023
    @lunarcat522 I had a therapist who left it open ended bc she found it too much. With me needing constant therapy now coz she was a trainee n got me very very unhappy. Yesterday session we went into the deep stuff and then we tlkd about lemmings n gta n I told her tht they were done by the same company :) y can't they stretch to 40 sessions agen?
    Crazy mad insane
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    It might be worth mentioning to them if you would prefer 40 sessions @ellie2000. Typically, if they are unable to provide what they used to provide, they will blame capacity. However, your needs are super important and valid. How did yesterday's session feel? :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    Hiya @ellie2000 im hearing that the trainee therapist made you unhappy? How are you finding your new therapist ? If it is free on the NHS their is definitely long waiting lists so i don’t think they can stretch to 40 but as said above it definetly doesn’t hurt to ask and see if you can even get it extended for a while longer eg 1/2 sessions or if your counsellor could even refer you on/ recommend other sources of support.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @Laura_tigger82 @ebyrne556 once the 8 r finished could they signpost?
    Crazy mad insane
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    Hi @ellie2000 Yes they could 100 Peter t signpost or could even signpost u during the 8 week sessions if you ask them im sure they have other resources and support avaliable.Hope your having a nice weekend <3