Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tlkn to English people

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
Everytime I can't find words I clap, is tht normal
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Yep I believe this is very ‘normal’!

I’m a linguistics student and have learnt that this is something called a filler. It’s something we do or a noise we make whilst trying to find a word - a bit like saying ‘um’! It gives our brain a distraction whilst we’re thinking.

I hope this helps!!😁
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    @LydsRose9 that's so interesting! it makes total sense tbh.

@ellie2000 what's your first language?
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @Xee @LydsRose9 I am Danish thts why I think ùk is wierd x I don't like it wen ppl hurry up 4 English answers
    Crazy mad insane
  • JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 2,021 Boards Champion
    I'm Polish and I agree UK is weird (jk haha), the language is so unintuitive sometimes tho
    Believe in me - who believes in you
    @JJLemon18 in Krakow it has a cellar with different pinball machines and retro arcade. U can play all day for 10 pounds.
    It's called 'pinball museum'
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 that sounds awesome!! Though I'm in Wrocław so its a bit far unfortunately. But thank you, I'll remember this if I ever visit Krakow (which I probably will one day). I assume you've been to Krakow then, how was it? :)
    @JJLemon18 the legend goes tht sulphur defeated the the dragon and Krakow was saved =)
    Crazy mad insane
    edited August 2023
    I also went to auswisch which was an experience that u should really go to. But it wasn't child friendly 😕 by all the stuff they did Nd the remains. But gd history
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 yesss, a sheep filled with sulfur I believe haha. I don't know how popular this legend is but it makes me so happy that someone knows it =)
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    I also went to auswisch which was an experience that u should really go to. But it wasn't child friendly 😕 by all the stuff they did Nd the remains. But gd history

Sorry didn't see this message. Thats really cool. Maybe I'd visit it too someday. And yea, horrible stuff I know, but luckily I'm not a child anymore so think I can manage haha ;)
    edited August 2023
    @JJLemon18 visiting there changed my view on life xx
    For the better
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 I'm so glad!! =)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    @JJLemon18 visiting there changed my view on life xx
    For the better

Completely agreed. I visited a concentration camp in Germany several years ago, hearing the stories while you're there makes a very strong impression. I looked into the conflict quite a bit afterwards, and learning about the war and ideology was an experience in itself
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.