Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

At what point is a mental illness considered severe?

spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
just interested

Comments

• yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    apparently a mental illness that interferes with a person's life and ability to function is called a serious mental illness (SMI) but that doesn't make sense to me because how can you have a mental illness that doesn't interfere with your life??? isn't that like impossible bcs then it's not a mental illness if it's not that bad rigjt? idk
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 2,021 Boards Champion
    Xee wrote: »
    apparently a mental illness that interferes with a person's life and ability to function is called a serious mental illness (SMI) but that doesn't make sense to me because how can you have a mental illness that doesn't interfere with your life??? isn't that like impossible bcs then it's not a mental illness if it's not that bad rigjt? idk
    That that I'd assume 🤔
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,190 Part of The Furniture
    From what I’ve learnt Severe mental Illness (SMI) is diagnosed when a persons mental Illness has a significant impact on their occupational (Eating , drinking , cooking , washing etc) and social activities despite input from professionals . I think they also take into account how long someone’s been diagnosed for and what treatments they have had to try and manage their condition.
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    edited August 2023
    Hey @IainJammyboy - echoing what @Millie2787, what makes a mental illness severe is, well, the severity! Mental illness is showing a set of symptoms for a particular period of time; what makes it severe is the extent to which it impairs your ability to lead your usual life. The more severe the impact is on your life, the more severe the condition is, and thus it requires greater intervention/effort to be able to remedy the "impairment", so to speak.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.