Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A Question(apologies in advance if this is in the wrong bit)

HobokenCiderHobokenCider Posts: 10 Settling in
Hi, first off I don’t know if this is In the right but because I’m not sure if it would be better in general because it’s not really a serious question but it is to do with mental stuff.

Also this might be worded a bit weirdly because I do struggle to word things quite a bit.

And also apologies if this is comes across as a really personal sounding question, it’s not intended to be one.

So I have ASD and one of the things I tend to do in stressful or anxiety filled situations, is play Waltzing Matilda on my headphones. This is strange because:
1. I don’t know how this started
2. I’m Not Australian.(don’t mean that in an offensive way)

I was wondering if anyone else did something similar?

(Again, sorry if this sounds really personal, I don’t mean for it to come across like that, I’m just very curious)
0 Days Since Milkshake Machine Malfunction

Comments

• spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
    Nah I get that - it can be so so handy having that specific way to calm yourself down even if it does include certain music - completely normal! Ps I should add too that I absolutely adore waltzing Matilda even though I'm not Australian either, you've got a great taste!!
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    Hey @HobokenCider - no worries, you're in the right place. If a thread does need moving, we can sort that out from our side :)

I think that's completely normal - music can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere, so if find that a particular Australian song like Waltzing Matilda helps to handle a stressful situation, that's completely fine! As to why, that's an interesting question - I know the song from school and I like it too. Do you listen to that style of music much? Or perhaps you heard it on the radio?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • HobokenCiderHobokenCider Posts: 10 Settling in
    Hi @Azziman
    To be honest I don’t listen to Australian country/folk music at all, the way I came across Waltzing Matilda is by looking it up because one of my favourite country/folk songs is “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda”(especially the version by the Dubliners)
    And I was really curious about what Waltzing Matilda was.
    0 Days Since Milkshake Machine Malfunction
  • leehollyleeholly Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    I have something similar too! I listen to what can only be described as elven/fairy music when I'm feeling overstimulated. I think something about the ethereal sounds calm me down somehow.
    I know a lot of other ASD people who listen to all sorts of random things to relax or calm themselves down. Different things work for different people and I'm glad you've found something that works for you.