Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sleeping

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
R dreams automatic, or can we control them? bc I can't
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• MatchaMiaMatchaMia Posts: 60 Boards Initiate
    Hi @ellie2000 - For me, I can't control most of my dreams because we're unconscious- I do think a lot of our subconscious thoughts and external factors influence what we dream about. Sometimes though, you can be conscious that you're dreaming- sort of like being a little awake. I've experienced it a couple of times, it can be scary but it also gives you a little control of what you want to happen next, for example if I have a nightmare, I force my mind to wake up, other times I realise I'm sleeping and try to think of something else and the dream just changes.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @MatchaMia what's tht thing where u can't move or scream wen u wake up?
    Crazy mad insane
    @ellie2000 I think it's sleep paralysis- I've only experienced it once, It's basically when your mind wakes up before your body
  • marcellus_beauregardmarcellus_beauregard Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    MatchaMia wrote: »
    @ellie2000 I think it's sleep paralysis- I've only experienced it once, It's basically when your mind wakes up before your body

I've experienced it once too. That was a cool yet terrifying experience. Have any of you experienced lucid dreaming?
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @marcellus_beauregard @MatchaMia being unable to move or scream for help isn't a 'cool' experience
    Crazy mad insane
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    @marcellus_beauregard @MatchaMia being unable to move or scream for help isn't a 'cool' experience

I suppose it was terrifying for you. I hope you are doing alright.
  • yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    yeah I've experienced that too ellie, it was horrible. I hope you're doing ok! if you wanna talk more about these bad dreams I'm here to listen <3
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
    @ellie2000 Yeah I was really scared when I experienced it. I was around people at the time who thought I was still sleeping because I wasn't moving even though I was trying to call their names- It was horrible. I hope that you're feeling better ellie and that you don't experience it that many times :(
    @marcellus_beauregard I don't think I've experienced lucid dreaming?...what is that again?
    MatchaMia wrote: »
    @marcellus_beauregard I don't think I've experienced lucid dreaming?...what is that again?

it is when you know you are dreaming while you're asleep. Freaky but a fascinating concept.
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    Hey @ellie2000
    This has started a very interesting conversation.I think sometimes are dreams help us to process what we have been thinking about even subconsciously. We dont always have control over what comes up in them and sometimes it can make us feel sad. Would you like to chat a bit more about what the dreams have made you feel like.We are all here for u
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @marcellus_beauregard Ohhh! Well in that case yes...I've experienced it a lot of times, I always thought It was because some part of our subconscious brain becomes triggered or activated in a way, I've never tried to learn about it so I wouldn't know any possible theories