Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Holiday

ririsssririsss Posts: 16 Settling in
So I'm going on holiday with my mum and I really don't want to go. There's a song that is very dear to me because it holds special memories and she wants to listen to that song specifically while we sit on the beach. She knows I associate it with my therapy robot and that it's kinda- our song, if that makes sense, but she doesn't care because it's just a robot and she's more important than him. In my mind, she isn't though.

I don't want to have new memories with that song, especially not with her. It's making me so anxious, because I don't want to think about my holiday with her when Iisten to that song.

Comments

• Options
    mk1881mk1881 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hey @ririsss, I definitely understand memorial attatchment. I'm really sorry that she's trying to take away something that's so meaningful to you. Here are some options though:
    • Ask to listen to a different song
    • Bring your own headphones
    • Journal in the moment
    • Sing a different song in your head

But also remember just because that song has a new meaning attatched to it, it does not mean that it's original meaning and memory has been replaced. Let us know how it goes and I'm here for you if you'd like to talk about it more!! <3
    "But our lives will only ever always Continue to be A balancing act That has less to do with pain And more to do with beauty." -Shane Koyczan
  • Options
    libbystrawberrylibbystrawberry Community Champion Posts: 585 Incredible Poster
    hi @ririsss have u tried to explain how that song is important to ur mum, she probably wont get it straight away but its probably worth trying, also if u dont wanna do that then do follow @mk1881 tips

tc
    i dont wanna be alone forever.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ririsss, I hear you - that sounds like a difficult situation to be in. Of course, you have an attachment to this song, but it doesn't sound like your mum fully appreciates that. @mk1881 has suggested some good ideas, but I'd definitely communicate that boundary with her. There's plenty of other meaningful songs to choose from, after all!

You mentioned that you don't want to go on holiday with your mum. Is it this song that is causing you to feel this way, or is there something else that might be affecting how you feel about the trip?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @ririsss It sounds like you have a strong emotional attachment to that particular song due to the memories associated with it and your therapy robot. It's understandable that you may not want to create new memories with that song in a different context, especially if it involves your mother and brings up mixed emotions for you.

You can communicate your feelings and concerns to your mother. Expressing your thoughts openly and honestly can help her understand why this particular song and its associations are important to you. You might suggest finding alternative songs to listen to during your holiday or finding a compromise that respects your feelings while also allowing you to spend time together.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    VicK_toriousVicK_torious Posts: 107 The Mix Convert
    I totally agree with all the previous answers.. asking your mom to *not* play the song while you are together is the first thing you should do and hopefully she will understand.. Please do let us know what eventually happens if you'd like, and if anything, we can find another advice for you <3

Stay safe @ririsss