Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unspoken TW:(mention of self-harm)

mk1881mk1881 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
I'm unsure of how to effectively go about saying this but I want to say it. I reviewed the guidelines and am trying my best to say this in a cautious, appropriate and considerate way. (To any moderators, I am thankful for y'alls guidance and if I'm too blunt or crude with my words regarding this topic, thank you for fixing my errors.)

I feel like it's not really stressed enough the severity and challenge that it is to stop the addiction of sh. I've been sober from sh behaviors for about 2 months; which may not seem long but, this time is different. I'm really trying to be better. There's something about that behavior though, the immediate chemical release from your brain is one thing. The misguided sense of control. The stupid competitiveness as to who has the most scars. The fear and acknowledgment that they're scarring now, that they're fading. The guilt about the action. There are so many things that go untalked about regarding this topic. It's immature and unwise to not admit that for lots of people (myself included) that this negative coping behavior is an addiction.

From the start of being 10 years old, I was addicted periodically throughout my life to this behavior. But as with all addictions, people overcome them. I'm overcoming this addiction. Personally, it's a lot harder than quitting vaping which I am a month sober of, but I know that I can do it. I guess my reasoning for this post is to let you guys know that you're not alone. That it is hard to quit. That it's okay to acknowledge the severity of mental illness. But you're not alone and I hope this has helped you see that.
"But our lives will only ever always Continue to be A balancing act That has less to do with pain And more to do with beauty." -Shane Koyczan

Comments

• Options
    VicK_toriousVicK_torious Posts: 107 The Mix Convert
    edited July 2023
    @mk1881 You're really strong and brave for putting this here for us, and for going through this with such a positive and determined attitude <3
    Overcoming addictions (of any kind) is surely one of the most difficult things to manage in life and I'm so glad that you have decided that its time to stop your sh, and I'm also sure that you can do it!

We're here if you ever need anything, like company, advice or motivation <3 and remember that I'm very proud of you!
  • Options
    @vicky_zin,
    Thank you for the support. Alot of the times I don't think about that behavior on such a deep or vulgar level but I wanted to put it out there and stop ignoring it. I know that I can quit and am excited to see the changes in my life here on out. Hope you're doing well and again thank you!!
    "But our lives will only ever always Continue to be A balancing act That has less to do with pain And more to do with beauty." -Shane Koyczan
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hey @mk1881 Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences regarding self-harm addiction. It takes courage to open up about such personal struggles.

Self-harm can become addictive for some individuals, and it's crucial to recognize the severity and difficulty of quitting such behaviors. It's essential for individuals who struggle with self-harm to seek support, whether it's from mental health professionals, support groups, or trusted family and friends in their lives.

Acknowledging the addiction is an important first step. Sharing your experiences and reminding others that they are not alone can create a sense of solidarity and provide comfort to those who may be struggling in silence. It's encouraging to hear that you have been making progress in your own recovery journey, both in quitting self-harm behaviors and overcoming other addictions. Remember to be patient and compassionate with yourself throughout this process, as healing takes time and setbacks may occur. We're here to listen and support you!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Terry8936,
    Thank you so much. I have a therapist and psychiatrist, my family is also pretty great too; all that to say, I have a good support system. I'm happy to share my journey as a way to uplift others and possibly give others hope for themselves. Thanks again.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Hey @mk1881 it's so lovely to hear u have such a good support system :) And it's also lovely that u wanna share ur journey, I feel the exact same. I've also struggled with self harm in the past and honestly the way you explained it was much better than I ever could lol. I feel like I'm just getting worse and worse at putting what goes on in my head into words which really isn't useful. I read some of my old diary entries and think 'woah past me explained that so well and it was just phrased beautifully', it almost sounded poetic. Now my diary entries are just rambles of complete and utter nonsense. Anyway I'm rambling lol, sorry. I defo agree that it isn't stressed enough that stopping sh is really challenging. I think a lot of people underestimate how much of an addiction it is, which is fair enough if they haven't experienced it themselves; how would they know?

I just wanted to say that you should be sooo proud of yourself for overcoming this. Obviously it takes a lot of time and obviously it isn't just a straight uphill journey (I wish it was), but you sound like you're doing really well :) I hope that vaping and sh both become things of the past for u! I've also got 2 addictions i've been struggling with, one of which is sh and the other one i don't rlly wanna talk about but yeah sorry I'm rambling, I just relate a lot to this post and I wanted to say that I'm proud of you <3
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    @Xee thank you!! Hey don't been up on yourself for not being able to put into words exactly how you feel or explain things "perfectly." It takes time. I've definetly had to work on it throughout my life. You'll get there don't worry. Sometimes how we express things can give away what we're feeling more than what we've actually explained if that makes sense. I know that in the past if I've explained something frantically it just shows how stressed or upset about that situation more. Exactly, how would they know? I appreciate people in communities sharing their stories even if I haven't experienced it. It's made me a lot more sympathetic and is constantly pushing me to be more understanding.

I am very proud of how far I've come and will continue to go. I think I'm doing pretty great right now but we'll see. I hear you about other addictions, for real. I hope that you're able to conquer yours and I hope that you're proud of yourself too. Admitting that you have an addiction to something is such an important step and sounds like you've worked through that step. I have faith in both of us along our addiction journeys and journeys otherwise. Thanks for your response and I'm here if you ever want to talk in the future. Sending hugs and hope <3
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya @mk1881 Firstly thank you so much for being so supportive of the others in the community as always its so lovely to see! Its really great also to hear how you are acknowledging that your doing great. Self belief is so important. We are all proud of you and sending hugs and a lot more positive vibes to you both. You can do this <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.