Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy and alcohol

hastings1066hastings1066 Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
I am expecting a baby and I have not really shown much interest in alcohol. I have run into a problem because of the way that my foster mother treats me i have decided to take up drinking. Any ideas how I can prevent myself from going there especially as I am having a baby.

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,877 Extreme Poster
    edited June 2023
    Hey @hastings1066, I can understand that's a difficult position to be in, though I'm glad that you're aware that drinking does affect the baby. How does your foster mother treat you, and how do you feel once you've had a drink?

I think the first port of call would be to speak to your GP or doctor about this. They can provide information and support on how to prevent drinking, which is especially important given the pregnancy. Alternatively, you might find it useful to speak to DrinkAware. They have a helpline available (0300 123 1110) for those who those who are worried about drinking, or want support on preventing drinking.

Of course, in the mean time, you're welcome to share your feelings and experiences here if that'd be helpful! You're not alone in going through this - support is on hand, whether that's in person (e.g. the GP), or digitally through The Mix <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    This sounds like an awful lot to process all at once for you @hastings1066 , it's no wonder you're considering how you can manage to cope at home with your foster mother, whilst also considering the health of your pregnancy. These are very important questions, and as @Azziman suggests, the GP should have the best medical and mental health advice available for pregnant people wanting to avoid alcohol during the pregnancy, whilst also coping with a deeply stressful home environment.

The first step, that you've already made, is acknowledging the distress you're in right now and how that has encouraged you to begin drinking. Then, it may be useful to start thinking about when you're more likely to have a drink of alcohol and work out what that may have been triggered by. Identifying these triggers will be useful for making the most of any professional support you might gain throughout this time.

The most beneficial thing could be speaking with a doctor, and I encourage you to do this, we are also beyond grateful to talk to you here in the meantime. xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.