Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Imposter Syndrome

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
I want to defeat my imposter syndrome, why do I always feel like a fraud and unoriginal. I'm just a fake of myself one that needs to be thrown away, disgarded I guess. There is something wrong in me some form of evil that I dont like. Something I need to remove. I guess my imposter syndrome is coming back I don't know. Today I wrote a story and I used the word 'kalidoscope' which was also used in the book in deeper waters by FT.Lukens and I felt awkward. Maybe I'm being silly again with my silly thoughts. Sometimes I feel like there is someone else inside me sometimes and it isn't me. I don't feel real anymore I don't know. .-.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Amy22 , I hear you. It sounds like this feeling of imposter syndrome that you're feeling is causing difficulty. It's a common feeling, and one that I'm sure several others here can relate to. I want you to know that you are enough, that your feelings are valid, and that this isn't an evil part of you, or one that needs removing.

Have you noticed anything in particular that makes you feel like an imposter? Does it happen in particular places; perhaps it's to do with certain tasks; or at certain points in the day/week?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hey @Amy22 , I hear you. It sounds like this feeling of imposter syndrome that you're feeling is causing difficulty. It's a common feeling, and one that I'm sure several others here can relate to. I want you to know that you are enough, that your feelings are valid, and that this isn't an evil part of you, or one that needs removing.

Have you noticed anything in particular that makes you feel like an imposter? Does it happen in particular places; perhaps it's to do with certain tasks; or at certain points in the day/week?

Thank you so much I really appreciate it a lot. I guess I notice it whenever I'm doing something creative I don't know. I am always doing something creative but when I do I get keeping that negative thought of what if you know. I also think its when I'm hard on myself too I guess.
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Amy22 I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome is a common experience, and many people go through similar feelings of self-doubt and insecurity. It's important to remember that these thoughts and feelings are not an accurate reflection of your worth or abilities.

There are some strategies that may help you navigate imposter syndrome:
    1. Recognize and challenge negative thoughts
    2. Reframe mistakes and failures
    3. Seek support and share your feelings
    4. Celebrate your achievements
    5. Embrace your uniqueness
    6. Practice self-compassion

If your feelings of self-doubt and disconnection persist or significantly impact your daily life, it may be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional. You are not alone in experiencing imposter syndrome, and there are strategies and resources available to support you. We're here to listen :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thank you so much @Terry8936 I guess my imposter syndrome also goes to the extent of even not being able to like things that others do to even words and stuff idk
  • MaisyMaisy Deactivated Posts: 701 Part of The Mix Family
    I think you are being hard on yourself.

The problem with originality, especially relating to the arts, is that it's very difficult to be 100% original. We are often influenced, sometimes subconsciously, by the things around us. And this is completely normal and okay. I've noticed this in myself and others, where perhaps I'll say a phrase and then a little while later, I hear the phrase being repeated by someone I spoke to (just like how you used the word 'kaleidoscope' in your writing and realised it had also been used elsewhere).

At other times, we may feel like all we do is copy others and this can get us down. To combat this, it can help to think about your own likes, dislikes, interests or just spend some time getting to know yourself, perhaps doing some reflective thinking. You'll realise that you are your own person, with your own take on things and even if there are similarities with others or that you notice moments of similarity, you can just observe it as a coincide or an influence and be less harsh on yourself.
    Thank you so much @Maisy I think you really have helped me think about this a lot especially reframing it. I think all along I was being hard on myself I think and I need to be more relaxed and chilled about how I think about things. I guess I often felt like this a lot and it's something I need to work on a bit. I really appreciate your help though :)