Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think about sequels, reboots and video game based movies?

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,998 Community Veteran
Hi I thought it would cool to post a recent thought more of a question rather than a thought on here. I wanted to ask about what you all think about sequels and reboots as I think it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks on this.

As of recently, I know Disney has started to re-boot and create live action versions of their well-known movies such as The Lion King (2019), and quite recently The Little Mermaid. I know Shrek is also getting a reboot in the near future and Five Night at Freddy's is going to be a film I think at the end of the year. Not to mention Ghostbuster's Afterlife is having a sequel (which is currently being filmed in London at the moment I think).

I think its cool that some film companies are doing live action films such as Disney as it is interesting to see a more realistic version of characters that we are familiar with. However, I personally feel that the film industry is going overkill with sequels and reboots because of generating more money and trying to attract a wider fan base. However, eventhough a sequel or reboot may bring in more money, I feel that Disney and most film companies are starting to run out of ideas and new concepts, which has caused a decrease in some of their box office numbers. I feel like they need to start generating some new fresh concepts as sometimes having a fresh concept is a great way of attracting audiences. Not only this but I also feel to a certain extent does a film always need a sequel?. In my eyes not really and it depends on the narrative. Sometimes I feel like they produce a sequel as a way of merchandising and producing money off a film franchise. This can be said for 'prequels' too such as in the Star Wars trilogy.

Sorry for the long rant, I feel like I got a bit ranty about reboots :lol:. I wonder what you folks think on this at the moment?. It was be cool to hear from you,

Amy22 <3
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Amy22 personally I love that disney films are getting live action remakes and its good to see the characters being bought into the real world, its also nice to reconnect with the films that I grew up with... the new little mermaid film being one of them :) I do agree though sometimes when you're already in love with the old version you don't want a reboot or a sequel as it is sometimes a let down
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    eparker98 wrote: »
    Hi @Amy22 personally I love that disney films are getting live action remakes and its good to see the characters being bought into the real world, its also nice to reconnect with the films that I grew up with... the new little mermaid film being one of them :) I do agree though sometimes when you're already in love with the old version you don't want a reboot or a sequel as it is sometimes a let down

Ah that is such an interesting point actually that I never thought about :). I think that in a way by Disney doing live action remake they are trying to get more younger audiences to like Disney even among the oldies like me hehe. I often found the animated ones had a special place in my heart such as Lion King and many more :).
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I think it all depends on the film/series being done. Sometimes I think sequels are great especially when the story stays engaging throughout. For reboots, I feel sometimes they work, sometimes I much prefer the classic versions of them. I think especially when I've grown up loving particular films (like the disney films) sometimes a reboot doesn't capture me the same way the original did
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    edited May 2023
    Hi @Amy22 i defintely agree that it depends on the movie/series. I wonder what the little mermaid remake will b like….The trailer looks good but hopefully it isnt like the percy jackson movies lol that was probably the biggest flop movie/boook.I think normally the live action disney ones r done ok but dont getme started on books to series.I cannot deal with my fav books being completly changed for a show lol
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JefferyOlsenJefferyOlsen Posts: 2 Newbie
    eparker98 wrote: »

It's true that many film companies, including Disney, have been producing live-action versions of their classic movies and bringing back popular franchises in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience and generate more revenue. While it can be intriguing to see familiar characters in a more realistic setting, I can see how this trend may give the impression that the industry is lacking fresh ideas.

In my opinion, striking a balance between sequels/reboots and original concepts is crucial for the film industry. While sequels and reboots have the advantage of built-in fan bases and the potential for financial success, it's equally important to explore new and innovative ideas that can captivate audiences. Original concepts can bring a breath of fresh air to the industry and attract viewers who are looking for something different.

The decision to create a sequel or reboot should ideally be driven by a compelling narrative that adds value to the existing story or expands the world in a meaningful way. Sometimes, however, it does seem like certain franchises are extended primarily for the purpose of merchandising and capitalizing on their established popularity. This can dilute the impact of the original work and lead to audience fatigue.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    @ebyrne556 those percy jackson films are the most horrendous things i've ever seen omg it's so so bad i remember being so excited about them and when i watched it i was like 'wtf am i watching what is this??'
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Xee wrote: »
    @ebyrne556 those percy jackson films are the most horrendous things i've ever seen omg it's so so bad i remember being so excited about them and when i watched it i was like 'wtf am i watching what is this??'

Aw same I got one on dvd and I was so confused. They like made the characters way older than their book counterparts which didn't make sense. Plus Annabeth was a brunette in the film and in the books she was blonde. That's the thing with book adaptions so many things get changed and stuff. They even cut out important scenes that were in the books. Also, I think Harry Potter was the same as there was stuff in the books that they never included in the film and I wished they did really as it would have made the films more enjoyable like the book.

The only good book adaption I think was when Neil Gaiman did Good Omens for TV as it stuck exactly to the plots of the book itself and the representation was very good. Very excited for season 2 which I think is coming out in August or July.
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Legit yes but apparently theirs a tv series of Percy Jackson coming out soo I hope that is better. Must give good omens a go I’ve heard great things
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Legit yes but apparently theirs a tv series of Percy Jackson coming out soo I hope that is better. Must give good omens a go I’ve heard great things

Im really excited for the Percy Jackson series but I'll have to wait to get it on DVD or boxset as I don't have Disney+ yet. Good Omens is a very good show to watch and it is also very funny too.