Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feel my problems aren't enough and feel i'm overreacting?

spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
This kind of just came to my mind now, especially since you could say i'm from a 'posh' area, although alot of people i know are much better off than me i'm quite fortunate to be in this position. i'm kinda bringing this up because i feel like whenever i reach out for help i feel like i get treated as the 'spoilt kid who lives off of his mum and dads money' persona (i do know quite alot of these people to be fair), it feels like since i have it well off that im just overreacting with all my problems and that i do need to just tough it out. I'm not really sure how to feel about all this

Comments

• RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @IainJammyboy sorry to hear you are contemplating that your problems aren't enough and you feel you're overreacting. No matter what background you come from, everyone experiences trauma in their life and trauma isn't necessarily about the events that happen but it's how they affect you in present/future life. We could have the same event happen to us but experience it in different ways so how your life has affected you is completely a personal thing to you and no one should ever take that away from you.

Are you able to bring this up with someone the next time you feel you are being treated this way?
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    Hey @IainJammyboy, it sounds like you feel like your problems aren't enough. Regardless of where you come from and how fortunate you may be in life, you deserve to be listened to and treated fairly, and I'm sorry to hear that you feel like you haven't been treated with that respect. Especially with mental health, we can feel a tendency to doubt whether our own troubles are really that bad, or need attention - but if there is something on your mind and troubling you, then you deserve to be heard.

What kinds of support have you sought - have these experiences been with a therapist, GP, or another service? Or is this something you'd heard across multiple sources?

Just to let you know that The Mix also has a service that is ready to listen to you: https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team

And the Samaritans are also available to talk, 24/7: https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • spacedogspacedog Posts: 1,149 Wise Owl
    @Azziman it was with my psychiatrist - not that she had done anything wrong, but I ended up calling a mental welfare number because I felt I wasn't getting help. When I speak to my psychiatrist she has a habit of not sharing any information on her opinion on everything, or even the services she refers me to - when I phoned them up, I got hit with a bunch of news about the help I was getting which she did apparently mention during our meeting, I don't know if it's me and my forgetful brain or her mistake, oh well
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    You deserve access to the help you need @IainJammyboy. It was really brave of you to acknowledge you were not receiving the help you needed and to reach out for further support. How have things been going for you more recently - since your last post on this thread? :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @IainJammyboy It can be challenging when you feel like your problems and struggles are not taken seriously. If you're facing difficulties or feeling overwhelmed, don't hesitate to reach out for help. You deserve support and understanding, just like anyone else. Consider talking to a trusted friend, family member, counselor, or therapist who can provide a non-judgmental space to discuss your concerns. It's essential to prioritize your mental health and seek assistance when needed!