Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

motivated by stress but too tired

saffjxdesaffjxde Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It's a month until my exam and I have so much work to do because I don't remember any of the content from the first semester and I'm really stressed about it which usually is a good motivator to get work done but I've just been so exhausted for ages that I can't get myself to study and it just makes me worry more and then I just feel angry at myself and feel really down about it but each day is the same and I'm fed up of the cycle but not sure how else I can change things.
nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as real strength - st francis de sales
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Hey @saffjxde, I'm really sorry to hear this. I know exactly what you're going through, I've been feeling exactly the same way recently. Do you think speaking with your tutor about all this could help? I've been told your tutor is the best person to reach out to regarding these sorts of situations, they know best how to help. I'm still waiting for the response from my tutor unfortunately.

You could also apply for mitigating circumstances if you haven't already, you could speak to your student wellbeing team and they could provide you with evidence that you need some more time.

You got this, I believe in you! Remember to take care of yourself! :)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @saffjxde, it sounds like you're in a difficult spot during the revision period. I hear you, and I imagine that there are others here who can relate to how you feel. Stress can definitely be a motivator, but in moderation - as with anything, too much can be unhelpful! The good thing is that you still have time on your side - one month is enough time to get back on track and brush up on the content you need to cover :)

Agreed with JJLemon, speaking to your tutor could be a good idea - you won't be the first student to have difficulties during the revision period, so I'm sure they could provide some support and guidance. There's a useful article on YoungMinds about good exam practice and dealing with exam stress that might be helpful: https://www.youngminds.org.uk/young-person/coping-with-life/exam-stress/#Revisiontips
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @saffjxde

Sorry to hear you are going through this at the moment. Maybe try to organise set times for things in a revision calendar for this last month, like Monday you will allocate 1hr to this subject, then 1hr to this subject etc so you have a structured plan. It's very easy for stress to turn into feeling overwhelmed and burnout which in turn is detrimental to health and motivation so I guess it's about acknowledging when the stress gets too much. I guess like you said, it's that cycle, and it's about knowing how to break that cycle. Tackle it one step at a time, allow yourself breaks to get fresh air and exercise, drink lots of water, eat healthily and get enough sleep, be good to your mind and body and more energy should come.

Do you have someone that can test you? As I always used to find this really beneficial.
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 Sorry to hear you're still waiting but it's great that you were able to reach out :)
    I've had some talks with my tutor throughout the year so I think my school are aware at least. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time at the momenta nd not get too burnt out too quickly.
    Good luck with hearing from your tutor
    nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as real strength - st francis de sales
  • Options
    @Azziman Thank you for the helpful link... my tutor's been lovely and I have at least managed to share a few things. Hope things are okay with you :)
  • Options
    @RenP Thanks for the advice. I do have a few people I could ask for some quizzing, but I might be leaving that until after I've at least learnt some things. I do probably need more adequate sleep so I reckon I'm starting with that first and attempt things one at a time. Hope you're keeping well :)
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    @saffjxde Thank you! He finally replied and I went to speak with him in person, he was super helpful and nice. I guess it was your good luck ;)

I'm really glad your tutor was also lovely! And yes, taking one step at a time is very important not to get burned out, that and not leaving everything till last minute. Keep it up! Wish you best of luck!
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    @JJLemon18 Aww that's great that he was so helpful. Not too long now until the summer... you've got this... good luck too!
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @saffjxde
    It sounds like you are experiencing a lot of stress and pressure around your upcoming exam. There are some things you can try to help break the cycle. First, try breaking down your studying into smaller, manageable tasks. Set realistic goals for yourself each day, such as reviewing one chapter of material or completing a set of practice questions. Celebrate your progress each time you achieve a goal, even if it's a small one.

Also, make sure to take care of your physical and emotional well-being. Get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet, and try to get some exercise each day. Take breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge. These can improve your ability to concentrate and retain information.

Additionally, consider reaching out to someone for support. This could be a teacher, tutor, friend, or family member. Talking about your worries and concerns can help you gain perspective and develop a plan for moving forward.

Remember, it's normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed during exam season. Be kind to yourself, and focus on taking small steps towards your goals each day. You can do this!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @saffjxde sorry to hear that you are having such a stressful time

Exam time can feel overwhelming but there are things you can do to help manage it:

- Make sure to take regular breaks this will help relax you mind
    - Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep as this will help with retention
    - Take a walk

Hopefully this helps but if the stress does get too much please get some support from family, friends or your teachers for example.

Hang in there, it will be the summer break soon <3