Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Uk phone alert ⚠️ stupid government

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
It's today at 3
If Ur phone makes a sound unexpectedly Don't panic 🙂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65177316.amp
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Thanks for the reminder @ellie2000 id completely forgotten about that
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @jess63 wat was it for
    Crazy mad insane
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    @jess63 wat was it for

The government are testing a new alert system, this was just a check today but in the future it may be used to give you emergency alerts for your area for example for severe weather warnings
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
    edited September 18
    Past User wrote: »
    It didnt go off for me :|

Apparently it didn’t work for people with 3 so if you’re with them that might be why
    Post edited by patrickDev on
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    edited September 18
    @jess63 @Past User I had it charging and I was our, I heard it on other ppls devices. Wen I got home a notification text box showed up on my phones homesreen
    Crazy mad insane
    People who are with the service provider 3
    Hmmm im not sure then Morgan maybe it was the same thing with Carphone warehouse as well
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    edited September 18
    @Past User ID Mobile runs on Three network, so that might be why it didn't go off for you
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AoifeAoife Community Manager Posts: 3,168 Boards Guru
    I got the alert on my phone, it was so loud!
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    Hi @ellie2000 I think the emergency alert was a test so it wasn't like a real emergency. I think it was for the government to test the system as they want to use it to warn people of flooding, wildfires or any other incidents that could have an impact on lots of people. I also know that lots of people didn't get the alert too, I know my dad didn't on his phone. However me and my mum did. How are you feeling after the alert?.

@Aife I know right, it really spooked me out as I was eating kfc that day too lol. I wish it wasn't too loud as I found the loud noise scared me.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    I was on the train to Cornwall and everyone's phones started going off at the same time but some were delayed and different volumes
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Apparently, you required an internet connection for it to come through. This might be why it didn't come through until you were home (with internet) @ellie2000 :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    It was mega loud strange how they have decided to do it now
    edited September 18
    @Past User is there a particular part you are confused about? Basically, it is an alert system run by the government.

It means you will receive an alert on your phone if there are any severe warnings (e.g., potential threat to life). There was a test to make sure this would work.

Unfortunately, users of some phone providers (e.g., 3) did not receive these test alerts. This means users of this phone provider are unlikely to receive real alerts should a real alert need to be sent.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you would like anything to be further clarified <3
    edited September 18
    My response was in response to you saying what do you mean? @Past User but that makes so much more sense :p