Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Overanalysing and worrying about hyperfixations

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
I always find myself overanalysing every single thing I do. My stupid bloody anxiety gets in the way of everything, its why I can never do some of the things I love at the moment. I don't know, lately I found a recent new obession of mine, a new horror film which I wanted to study as part of my college project. But my brain kept telling me that I was cheating and that I am a fraud for doing so. I tend to get these silly overwhelming thoughts like these. Also, whenever I have a hyperfixation, I often find that whenever I have a new hyperfixation, I can get so hyperfixated it can make me feel overstimulated sometimes. I don't know this week, I just feel tired and low. Why do I have to keep overanalysing everything, why do I have to be stupid all the time. Why is my brain saying you can't use that as research, that's cheating. This all sucks and I want it to go away. :/
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 885 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey amy,big hugs brains can be really mean sometimes.

Its certainly not cheating to do an assignment on something thats a hyperfixation. For example I love penguins ,i have since i was little so every time i had the opportunity to pick my topic i figured out some way to include penguins. I now realise penguins were a hyperfixation of mine. But using my knowledge and enthusiasm certainly isnt cheating.

Part of learning is incorperating the things we enjoy. If you loved on the planets, and had to do a presentation on space would that count as cheating. I know hyperfixations are more intense but i assure you, youre not cheating.

Theres many scholars and proffessors whos field of research is something that is stemmed from a hyperfixation of theirs.

And sometimes hyperfixations can be overwhelming and consuming. But in this case its an asset ,so maybe using it to the best of your advantage is very fair on you.

I definitely dont think your cheating. Because hyperfixations can have down sides, and youre struggling with other things too. So to me doing a project on something youve done alot of research on already sounds like a kind thing to do for yourself.

You are not a fraud. I know brains can be mean, so we'll remind you how awesome you are whenever you need us to.

Big hugs <3
    You're awesome!
  • yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    I get this, overanalysing and overthinking is so annoying, you just wanna tell your brain to shut the fuck up and stop being a massive pain in the ass. When it feels like my mind is going a million miles per hour I sometimes just take a moment to stop what I'm doing and let myself think instead of getting annoyed at myself for thinking so much. I take a few breaths and say to myself 'what are u overthinking for? let's think reasonably and rationally about this..' and sometimes it helps (idk if that makes sense) so maybe try that if u can :)

Other than that I think everything @SpaceOtter said is great advice and makes a lot of sense. I really wanna echo the fact that you aren't a fraud and you aren't being stupid, we can't help it when it feels like our minds turn against us.

Sending lots of hugs <3 I hope your mood lifts at least a little bit soon :)
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    Thank you @Xee
    Thank you @SpaceOtter its just my brain likes to be a silly billy to me. I don't know why I was overthinking it really.
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hi, @Amy22 it’s brave for you to share these. It can be frustrating to have these thoughts and feelings, especially when they interfere with things that you enjoy doing. But it’s important to remember that these thoughts are not a reflection of who you are as a person. They are just thoughts that you’re experiencing, and it’s possible to learn strategies to manage them.

You can consider one psychological approach, which is to try and challenge these negative thoughts. For example, when your brain says you’re cheating by studying a horror film, you can ask yourself why you should believe this. Which part of this is cheating? Isn’t it a valid choice for your project? Or is it against the regulation? By challenging the automatic negative thoughts, you will have a clear answer for yourself. It’ll also be helpful to remind yourself of times when you have successfully completed projects and achieved goals, even when you were anxious or overwhelmed. Wish you good luck with the project! And we’re here to support you!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thank you @Terry8936 I guess I have been really overthinking it all this week. I know I shoulden't as really I should focus on the positivity of it all.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Would you like to talk more about what overthinking is looking like for you at the moment @Amy22? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us about this. Your thoughts and feelings are valid, even if you think you shouldn't be overthinking / should be thinking more positively <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Would you like to talk more about what overthinking is looking like for you at the moment @Amy22? We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us about this. Your thoughts and feelings are valid, even if you think you shouldn't be overthinking / should be thinking more positively <3

I'd say that with my overthinking, it tends to be minor things that happen or affect me in my routine. Sometimes I can overthink a situation to the point where it can make me feel anxious.
  • yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    Hey Amy! How are u feeling today? <3
    I'd say that with my overthinking, it tends to be minor things that happen or affect me in my routine. Sometimes I can overthink a situation to the point where it can make me feel anxious.
    I relate to this. Something that helps me is questioning my overthinking when it's something small. For example this morning I was overthinking opening the egg boiler machine because I nearly burnt myself opening it the other day and it was making me really anxious (ik it sounds so stupid). But then I was questioning my overthinking and saying to myself 'Ok what's the worst that could happen? If you're quickly opening it then why would u burn urself? You're hungry so open the machine' and in the end I did it and didn't burn myself! Idk if that makes any sense lol but maybe u can try it?

my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
    Xee wrote: »
    Hey Amy! How are u feeling today? <3
    I relate to this. Something that helps me is questioning my overthinking when it's something small. For example this morning I was overthinking opening the egg boiler machine because I nearly burnt myself opening it the other day and it was making me really anxious (ik it sounds so stupid). But then I was questioning my overthinking and saying to myself 'Ok what's the worst that could happen? If you're quickly opening it then why would u burn urself? You're hungry so open the machine' and in the end I did it and didn't burn myself! Idk if that makes any sense lol but maybe u can try it?

Hi I'm feeling a little bit okay today, I have been feeling a bit moody I don't know why. I guess I can be stupid when it comes to overthinking
    Things are difficult sometimes @Amy22 and that's not a reflection on you. Would you like to talk about your mood and how you have been? We are here for you if you wish to talk about this, your overthinking or anything else <3
    Things are difficult sometimes @Amy22 and that's not a reflection on you. Would you like to talk about your mood and how you have been? We are here for you if you wish to talk about this, your overthinking or anything else <3

Thank you so much. I guess I'm feeling a bit more better now than I was a while ago. I think it may have been related to college stress and sorting out my work stuff for college.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better now @Amy22. How is college going for you at the moment? :)
    Glad to hear you are feeling better now @Amy22. How is college going for you at the moment? :)

College has been okay so far, I have felt like I have been a bit behind on my coursework as I keep seeing everyone doing their work and they are always nearly done. I feel like the only person behind with their work. I don't know at the moment I think i am being lazy and I need to start working on my project.
    It is easy to have these difficult feelings when you compare your work to the work of those around you @Amy22. If you focus on your own progress, rather than compared to other people's, e.g. against the deadline - are you happy with where you are with everything? Small and steady steps win the race <3
    It is easy to have these difficult feelings when you compare your work to the work of those around you @Amy22. If you focus on your own progress, rather than compared to other people's, e.g. against the deadline - are you happy with where you are with everything? Small and steady steps win the race <3

Hi @Laura_tigger82 I feel like I am in a much better place now than where I was. I think the thought of the deadline was what was making me anxious. But I've managed to complete my work on time and I feel happier than now.
    Yay, what a relief for you @Amy22! You have done so well to push through those feelings and complete your work <3