Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Psychology in Media

JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
Hey all.

I've been thinking about a topic that I find super fascinating for a really long time now and I feel like this might be a perfect place to discuss it (plus I don't really have anyone to discuss this with irl). It is the topic of psychology behind different media like video games, movies, songs, books etc. and how they affect our brain.
I wanted to create this thread as a way for anyone to talk about and discuss all of this. For example, media that means something to you, stories that make you emotional, recommendations, moments in games that you love or just generally stuff you like, pretty much anything.

To start off I would like to mention my favourite youtube channel that started this interest for me, its called Daryl Talks Games and I'd love to know if anyone has heard of it? If not then I really recommend it, he talks about psychology mostly in video games but sometimes also in other media such as movies, shows, anime etc.

Also I really want to see how many other people find this as interesting as I do. Idk I just think this might be fun.
Believe in me - who believes in you

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Hi @JJLemon18 I think this is a brilliant topic for discussion and it is very broad and wide subject. Speaking of psychology in media, this is something I often study on my film college course as there is a theory section where we analyse characters and why they make us feel a certain way. I often tend to do a lot of research into my favourite characters and why I may like them. Quite often with certain characters in film and TV, for example the characters of 'Peter Venkman' and 'Ray Stanz', from (The Real Ghostbuster's cartoons). The reason why I like them is because I often resonate some of my own personality traits with them such as Ray's child like wonder for knowledge and Peter's dry humour. Quite often characters with similar traits of mine I find I adapt to for some reason. Also, I got to say some of the characters in Stardew Valley are very psychologically based in a way as the game delves into each of the side characters persona's and stories, which I find very fascinating.

I just looked up that Youtube channel and it looks very interesting actually. I think this channel is something I might check out from time to time. It's great to have someone who is really into psychology in media as it is a very cool topic to discuss. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi @JJLemon18 This topic does sound very interesting and im defiently going to have a look at the youtube channel later on as ive never heard of it before! Thank you for telling us about it
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.