Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

wondering

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
i hav a meeting with wellbeing team, will i get declined coz i did at the other town? everythings gd but knowing the meetings soon make me wander: wat makes us here, day 2 day, keeping at it. r we expecting stuff to happen?
everythings gd, i hav sonic game and uncharted 4 to keep busy
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Meetings like this can certainly be daunting @ellie2000 , especially when you're not sure how they'll react to you. Plus, you've already had a negative experience in the other town where you were declined, which must have been very gutting to hear. Perhaps it would be good to talk about what led them to decline you? Then we could try to figure out if you need to worry about it this time around?

Those are some pretty huge questions Ellie, very philosophical. What makes us keep on going despite so much pain and trauma? In all honesty, I think a lot of zombie shows like The Walking Dead (Huge TW for this show btw guys) answer that one pretty well for us, even when we are facing impossible odds, I reckon humans can have a real survival instinct, and this goes for mental health too. Sometimes, we just push ourselves onto the next day, even when we are suffering. Which, whilst awful, is quite impressive really.

Why do you think we keep going?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @AislingDM A service could offer u more if u've had exhausted tht service, like hubs/walk-in centres. Is it lack of space too, tht u mite get turn away? We suffer coz we're waiting for more positive to come? Is tht the right view?
    Crazy mad insane
  • emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hi @ellie2000 :)

From past experience it could be that they feel that the service they offer is not suitable for yourself and they want to try something else, have you asked if there are other alternatives that you can try?

I agree with Aisling, I think we all have a survival instinct and we hold on because we believe in some level of good in the world.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @eparker98 in the last town I was in they suggested emdr which was the last one I could do.
    With hubs, do u just go in sit with coffee
    Crazy mad insane
    Wat is emdr n how do it wok
    Crazy mad insane
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I couldn't agree more @ellie2000 , I think often services are so underfunded, with no money and not enough staff that they have such long waiting lists (unless you have the means to pay privately). Because of this, people are either left waiting far too long, or people who need to repeatedly use a service are unable to be offered more support. This is beyond wrong :(

This is why I love the idea of places like The Mix and hubs where you don't have to talk about anything very serious if you don't want to, simply being around other people can sometimes be a huge help!

EMDR is a type of therapy. The name sounds pretty complicated, but really all it is is about seeing how our memories affect us in the present day, and in particular, how they affect our bodies.

For example, lots of people who have suffered traumas can have flashbacks and awful reminders of the traumas they faced. This can affect the body (e.g., heart racing, feeling sick, headaches etc...). EMDR works to get the person to change how the memories of trauma affect them. The therapist often uses sounds like tapping their foot to disrupt (or move) the memory and the feelings about the memory. I suppose, it almost works like a distraction from the memory and tries to reprogram how your brain remembers events.

This website explains it in more detail:

https://www.emdr-training.net/what-is-emdr/

Happy to answer any more questions about this <3