Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of The Month

Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
edited March 2023 in General Chat
Hello everyone!

Pinch, punch, the first of the month - happy March. The first of March can only mean one thing and that's the new post-of-the-month nominations. I hope you are all well.

I would, firstly, like to say thank you to everyone who has posted this month or taken the time to respond to and interact with someone else's post.

We appreciate you all. You really are the people who make The Mix's community the supportive and friendly space it is :)

Now I would like you to, please, select your favourite nomination from this month.

The nominations are:

1. @Emma05 - Hi;)
Hi everyone,I’m Emma :)
Soon to be volunteering as a board moderator!
I am young empathetic,I wear my heart on my sleeve.I was the socially awkward kid at school,wasn’t the most academic ,always compared to friends who were smarter.I wasn’t gifted/popular, I spent the majority of my teens wondering if I was every good enough,or worthy of anything .I hated secondary, which resulted in my mental health taking a hit.I got to the point where I didn’t want to go to school…I was lost,I didn’t know who to turn to.The journey made me realise how broken the system is, how poorly people perceive mental health.I witnessed the stigma,However growing up, I realised I wasn’t alone, just unaware.
The point i am trying to make is,I won’t be smartest in the room,but I will be in the room.I will be listening, I will be invested.I care!
That is why I chose to volunteer, as I know out there is another teenager, another Emma, who needs someone to care, to be invested, to be in the room..
I didn’t have many people in my room,I hope I can use my experience and empathy to support another person…

2. @SpaceOtter - On Coping mechanisms... and a crush??
Hi, Happy saturday. Its awesome to have ypu here, im just really sorry to hear youre struggling right now. It all sounds very overwhelming.

Its brilliant that you were able to open up here though. I hope it helped. If negative thoughts are playing on your mind you can always write them out here. We are always happy to listen.

Im afraid i cant really help with the telling if you like someone part. Emotions can be a tricky thing.

But i can try to offer some advise for your other questions
Has anyone got more healthy coping mechanisms for panic or negative thoughts they'd be willing to share with me?
Writing things out can be a helpful thing, it can be here or on a piece of paper you tear up afterwards.
Breathing exercises can be helpful too. Theres a few i like.
1. Breathing to heaven and earth. Look up breathe in, look down breathe out. And keep going.
2. With your finger trace around your other hand. Brush your finger up your thumb and breathe in, then down the otherside and breathe out, then onto the next finger and breathe in, then back down and breathe out. And so on.
3. Imagine the anxiousness and negativity as a colour you dont like and take a deep breath. And breathe out and imagine breathing out a mist of that colour.

Another grounding exercise that is helpful is 5,4,3,2,1. Think of 5 things you can see,then 4 you can touch . 3 you can hear, 2 you can smell and 1 you can taste.
I don't know if what's going on with me is OCD or not, but for people who experience similar things to me, could you tell me ways that I can cope with those kind of thoughts?

These sound like very heavy thoughts to deal with on your own. Have you been able to talk to a gp or someone else in your life about them? No worries if not, theyre just a very rough thing to deal with alone and your gp could help you get the support you deserve.

Practical things like doing a puzzle or taking the dog for a walk can be good distractions sometimes when you feel the urge to hurt yourself. Do you have any hobbies that help calm you down?
don't know how to use this spoiler thing
Spoiler

[example] To use spoilers place the words between the brackets like this [/example]
I put example instead of spoiler so i could demonstrate.

Sending lots of hugs. You should be really proud of ypurself for opening up. Here if you ever need anything

Get voting! I am glad you have to vote, not me, I think you are both too awesome to choose between you :p
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Post of The Month 10 votes

@Emma05 - Hi;)
30% 3 votes
@SpaceOtter - On Coping mechanisms... and a crush??
70% 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    All seems to be fixed now @Millie2787! :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Congratulations @SpaceOtter <3

Thank you everyone for all of your lovely support on the community too <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Congrats @SpaceOtter :)<3 Sending you a free cookie :cookie:
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Free cookies have to be one of the best gifts possible @Amy22 :p
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Congratulations @SpaceOtter! I'm sending lots of free hugs! :heart:

Cookies are great! Unless its the free gifts that you get from websites when you visit them for the first time haha ;)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    edited April 2023
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Congratulations @SpaceOtter! I'm sending lots of free hugs! :heart:

Cookies are great! Unless its the free gifts that you get from websites when you visit them for the first time haha ;)

My cookies are edible lol :tongue:
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films