Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Special interests or Hyperfixations :)

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
Hi all hope your all okay. Recently I noticed that there isn't a dedicated thread to special interests or hyperfixations. I was just thinking that it would be cool if there was a thread for us to talk about any special interests (this can even be hobbies). I am very interested in seeing what other people find fascinating or interesting to them. It would be great to see everyone's interests in a way where we can feel free to talk about anything we want to. :)
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,956 Extreme Poster
    I think this is a great idea @Amy22!
    Any special interests of yours?
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea @Amy22!
    Any special interests of yours?

    Thank you so much @JJLemon18 I'm glad that you find this thread interesting. Hmm at the moment there is a lot of special interests of mine. But my main interest is the Ghostbusters at the moment. I know it does sound kinda weird that I am fascinated with the Ghostbusters franchise but ahhh it's soo good. I'm currently obsessed with the Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters which are like cartoon/anime but was produced during the 80s and mid 90s. The art style is what I find fascinating as the art style of the early 80s to mid 90s I would say is slightly more realistic than today's cartoon art styles (I find that nowadays most shows have the same art style and there is no originality at all). My favourite gotta be Ray though from The Real Ghostbusters just because of his wholesome attitude and nature. He is the heart of it all and such a sweetie.
    (Sometimes I tease my boyfriend as he looks exactly like Ray 😂). If anyone is interested in these shows you can find them on Youtube under the Ghostbusters youtube channel. They often release on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays but mostly they have been released on a Tuesday now.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 173 Helping Hand
    Hey @Amy22, I think having a thread for special interests and hyperfixations is a wonderful idea, a lot of the people who like to use the boards are autistic or have ADHD and I think it's a great way to build community and for people to have a space where they don't feel judged for talking freely about their interests.

    Having an interest on the Ghostbusters cartoon seems very nice, I haven't seen it myself but i do agree that the art style seems good and i prefer the 80s/90s animation style better as well. Back then the art style also looked way less childish than the one cartoons today have adopted imo
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    Hey @Amy22, I think having a thread for special interests and hyperfixations is a wonderful idea, a lot of the people who like to use the boards are autistic or have ADHD and I think it's a great way to build community and for people to have a space where they don't feel judged for talking freely about their interests.

    Having an interest on the Ghostbusters cartoon seems very nice, I haven't seen it myself but i do agree that the art style seems good and i prefer the 80s/90s animation style better as well. Back then the art style also looked way less childish than the one cartoons today have adopted imo

    Aw thank you so much :). I just felt like there needed to be a place where we could all talk about special interests of ours in a way which felt comfortable and safe to do so. I feel like with the cartoon itself the art style wasn't just for children it was also for adults. The show itself is quite spooky therefore I'd say it is for all ages not just for children especially with certain episodes. I wonder if anyone else has got some special interests they dont mind sharing about :)?.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,956 Extreme Poster
    Amy22 wrote: »

    Thank you so much @JJLemon18 I'm glad that you find this thread interesting. Hmm at the moment there is a lot of special interests of mine. But my main interest is the Ghostbusters at the moment. I know it does sound kinda weird that I am fascinated with the Ghostbusters franchise but ahhh it's soo good. I'm currently obsessed with the Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters which are like cartoon/anime but was produced during the 80s and mid 90s. The art style is what I find fascinating as the art style of the early 80s to mid 90s I would say is slightly more realistic than today's cartoon art styles (I find that nowadays most shows have the same art style and there is no originality at all). My favourite gotta be Ray though from The Real Ghostbusters just because of his wholesome attitude and nature. He is the heart of it all and such a sweetie.
    (Sometimes I tease my boyfriend as he looks exactly like Ray 😂). If anyone is interested in these shows you can find them on Youtube under the Ghostbusters youtube channel. They often release on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays but mostly they have been released on a Tuesday now.

    That is really cool! I'm guilty because I haven't watched any Ghostbusters but I always found them interesting. I really need to watch it at some point. Any recommendations where to start?

    I don't really think I have any big hyperfixations but speaking of animations on YouTube I have to recommend ice cream sandwich if anyone's heard of him. I find his videos super random funny and entertaining. Its just my type of humor haha
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    TitchTitch Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    This sounds really weird but I like planes. Sometimes I watch plane spotting videos on YouTube. Nobody knows that except you guys now =)
    Also the band Paramore. I started listening when I was 11 and now I'm 25 and they have a place in my heart
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 897 Part of The Mix Family
    Great idea @Amy22 it definetly does help the autistic community feel more supported and less alone. Oh wow Planes @Titch i can actually agree with you it can be quite relaxing watching them one of my hyperfixations would probably be Marykate and Ashley Olsen books or movies.I love collecting them and the movies were such a big part of my childhood. Im not sure if any of you guys have seen them? Would recommend

    My brother is also autistic and he really loves snoopy! He even has a giant snoopy which takes over half of our sofa and means that no one else is allowed to sit on it lol
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    TitchTitch Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    @ebyrne556 I love the thought of the giant snoopy! I haven't seen the movies but I am glad they bring you joy :)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Amy22 wrote: »

    Thank you so much @JJLemon18 I'm glad that you find this thread interesting. Hmm at the moment there is a lot of special interests of mine. But my main interest is the Ghostbusters at the moment. I know it does sound kinda weird that I am fascinated with the Ghostbusters franchise but ahhh it's soo good. I'm currently obsessed with the Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters which are like cartoon/anime but was produced during the 80s and mid 90s. The art style is what I find fascinating as the art style of the early 80s to mid 90s I would say is slightly more realistic than today's cartoon art styles (I find that nowadays most shows have the same art style and there is no originality at all). My favourite gotta be Ray though from The Real Ghostbusters just because of his wholesome attitude and nature. He is the heart of it all and such a sweetie.
    (Sometimes I tease my boyfriend as he looks exactly like Ray 😂). If anyone is interested in these shows you can find them on Youtube under the Ghostbusters youtube channel. They often release on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays but mostly they have been released on a Tuesday now.

    That is really cool! I'm guilty because I haven't watched any Ghostbusters but I always found them interesting. I really need to watch it at some point. Any recommendations where to start?

    I don't really think I have any big hyperfixations but speaking of animations on YouTube I have to recommend ice cream sandwich if anyone's heard of him. I find his videos super random funny and entertaining. Its just my type of humor haha

    I'll have to check him out he sounds really cool btw aha. Oo Ghostbusters is a great watch, I'd say if you are wondering where to start. I would start with the first film 'Ghostbuster's, then Ghostbuster's 2 (which I feel is an underated classic) then Ghostbuster's Afterlife. There is of course the controversial Ghostbuster's 2016 film (Ok I will be honest maybe it is a guilty pleasure of mine lol). I'd say you can start anywhere, the cartoons are kinda linked together though as I know Extreme Ghostbuster's is almost a sequel to The Real Ghostbuster's as it follows on from the original team. You can tell I'm very obssessed with this at the moment :lol::mrgreen:

    @ebyrne556 Wow a giant Snoopy sounds lovely to have. I got something similar which I won at a local fair/carnival but it is a giant minion. He's in the attic at the moment as he takes up half of my room lol. Oo speaking of Snoopy, a while ago in my town as part of raising funds for a new local dog shelter, an artist installed Giant Snoopy sculptures around my town and it was amazing to go around and see them. Some of the primary schools took part and made designs too. Sadly, though some of the Snoopy's got vandalised which I thought was horrible as like the designs were so pretty.

    @Titch I find plane spotting videos awesome especially seeing them land as well :). I also like Paramore as well :). I often find myself randomly putting on Airport ambience sounds whenever I do something hehe I find it oddly relaxing.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    TitchTitch Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    @Amy22 I hadn't thought of airport ambience, I'm going to try that!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    Titch wrote: »
    @Amy22 I hadn't thought of airport ambience, I'm going to try that!

    It is quite relaxing I'll try to find a video for you :). It makes feel excited as I feel like I am going on holiday :).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQG5OdBnYfA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7KgV2edvI

    (Here are some links that you may find helpful :)<3)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,956 Extreme Poster
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Oo Ghostbusters is a great watch, I'd say if you are wondering where to start. I would start with the first film 'Ghostbuster's, then Ghostbuster's 2 (which I feel is an underated classic) then Ghostbuster's Afterlife. There is of course the controversial Ghostbuster's 2016 film (Ok I will be honest maybe it is a guilty pleasure of mine lol). I'd say you can start anywhere, the cartoons are kinda linked together though as I know Extreme Ghostbuster's is almost a sequel to The Real Ghostbuster's as it follows on from the original team. You can tell I'm very obssessed with this at the moment :lol::mrgreen:

    This sounds a little complicated haha. Thanks for the recommendations!
    There is nothing wrong with being obsessed about something, it's actually really cool to see :smiley:
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 897 Part of The Mix Family
    Oh wow @Amy22 wish they did the snoopy statutes here would hv loved to go and c them with my brother.Shame they got vandalised though but hopefully they raised a lot of money
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Oh wow @Amy22 wish they did the snoopy statutes here would hv loved to go and c them with my brother.Shame they got vandalised though but hopefully they raised a lot of money

    The snoopy statues were so lovely and pretty to see. I wish I took proper photos of them. I think they managed to raise a lot of money as they had a treasure hunt where if you took a photo or scanned a qr code which was on them, it would donate money automatically to the dog shelter charity in my area. I loved those days a lot getting to see them in the area. Yeah the vandalism part happens a lot in my area and I wish a lot more people had actual respect when we have artwork put up around the area.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    This is a fantastic idea Amy, I think people will really appreciate having a space on here to talk about their special interests. :3

    For me, I'm a fan of Silent Hill 3 which is a older video game for the PlayStation 2. It's mainly a horror video game, so probably won't be to everyone's taste. I do enjoy watching horror here and there, so it's fine. :3 I especially love the main character, Heather Mason, as she's really sassy and generally a great heroine.

    hbtjidf8n2s1.png

    Speaking of horror, I also enjoy watching Nightmare on Elm Street on occasion. Freddy Krueger is a brilliant villian, as there's a lot of potential that could be done with the fact he can go into people's dreams. So much more interesting than the classic slasher that just chases people down.

    I quite like the psychological aspect of it as well, as its really interesting how it's a commentary on fears and anxiety. For example in Nightmare 4, the main character actually has a dislike of mirrors, but overcomes that anxiety when she has to fight Freddy, as she takes off everything that was covering it up on the desk and the mirror itself.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,159 Community Veteran
    This is a fantastic idea Amy, I think people will really appreciate having a space on here to talk about their special interests. :3

    For me, I'm a fan of Silent Hill 3 which is a older video game for the PlayStation 2. It's mainly a horror video game, so probably won't be to everyone's taste. I do enjoy watching horror here and there, so it's fine. :3 I especially love the main character, Heather Mason, as she's really sassy and generally a great heroine.

    hbtjidf8n2s1.png

    Speaking of horror, I also enjoy watching Nightmare on Elm Street on occasion. Freddy Krueger is a brilliant villian, as there's a lot of potential that could be done with the fact he can go into people's dreams. So much more interesting than the classic slasher that just chases people down.

    I quite like the psychological aspect of it as well, as its really interesting how it's a commentary on fears and anxiety. For example in Nightmare 4, the main character actually has a dislike of mirrors, but overcomes that anxiety when she has to fight Freddy, as she takes off everything that was covering it up on the desk and the mirror itself.

    Ah the horror genre is such a classic!. I never thought of it before of people actually facing their fears which is very cool. I heard of Silent Hill before and I have tempted to check it out because it sounds like such a brilliant game. There is a game similar which is Five Nights at Freddy's which I like too. Aww I'm very glad you like this thread :). Lately, I have been a big fan of old 80's cartoons, quite specifically I have gone onto to an old show which is being shown on Pluto TV called 'Teen Wolf' which is a tv series based of the 1980's film. Its a very old cartoon, but I love the art style so much!!.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Ah the horror genre is such a classic!. I never thought of it before of people actually facing their fears which is very cool. I heard of Silent Hill before and I have tempted to check it out because it sounds like such a brilliant game. There is a game similar which is Five Nights at Freddy's which I like too. Aww I'm very glad you like this thread :). Lately, I have been a big fan of old 80's cartoons, quite specifically I have gone onto to an old show which is being shown on Pluto TV called 'Teen Wolf' which is a tv series based of the 1980's film. Its a very old cartoon, but I love the art style so much!!.

    Yep, that's probably why so many people love the horror genre. :smile: It definitely is, although it does get very dark, so fair warning. Oh yes. Nothing wrong with that, I'm a big fan of old 80's/90's cartoons too! :blush:
Sign In or Register to comment.