Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rant to me!

M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
Hello!

I'm Megan. I'm an 18 year old psychology student who used to use the mix as a support network in my early teenage years. I know what it's like to experience mental health difficulties and trauma. I'm looking to give back and be part of the system which once helped me so much.

I'm here if anyone wants to rant about any difficulties or simply talk about their day - the good and the bad. Would love to make some new friends too! <3

Comments

  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Welcome back, Megan. o/ It sounds like you're doing well, and I'm sure people will be grateful for your support.
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,955 Extreme Poster
    Hi. That's so cool, I really want to study psychology but I'm aware I may not be the best for that role. Maybe someday...
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hi. That's so cool, I really want to study psychology but I'm aware I may not be the best for that role. Maybe someday...

    That's great! It's such a fascinating subject and there's so much interesting content which covers such a broad range - everyone's bound to come across an area of psychology that sparks an interest.
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you may not be best for the role?
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,955 Extreme Poster
    M3GANx04 wrote: »
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hi. That's so cool, I really want to study psychology but I'm aware I may not be the best for that role. Maybe someday...

    That's great! It's such a fascinating subject and there's so much interesting content which covers such a broad range - everyone's bound to come across an area of psychology that sparks an interest.
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you may not be best for the role?

    Well, many people say that I'm really wise and would make for a great psychologist because of the things I say, but in my opinion how can I understand others while I have no clue how to even understand myself.
    But yea, psychology seems really fascinating, even though I don't know much about it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what different jobs could psychology get you? And what are your favourite aspects of psychology?
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 478 Listening Ear
    Hi @M3GANx04, welcome to our community here on the discussion boards! Hope you enjoy it here and I can't wait to see you around :3<3

    Thank you for your willingness to help, we definitely appreciate it lots! I'm really happy to hear that The Mix has helped you through some difficult times <3

    As a psychology student in my 2nd year of uni, I wish you the best of luck with your studies! I hope you're doing well at the moment :)
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    M3GANx04 wrote: »
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Hi. That's so cool, I really want to study psychology but I'm aware I may not be the best for that role. Maybe someday...

    That's great! It's such a fascinating subject and there's so much interesting content which covers such a broad range - everyone's bound to come across an area of psychology that sparks an interest.
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you may not be best for the role?

    Well, many people say that I'm really wise and would make for a great psychologist because of the things I say, but in my opinion how can I understand others while I have no clue how to even understand myself.
    But yea, psychology seems really fascinating, even though I don't know much about it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what different jobs could psychology get you? And what are your favourite aspects of psychology?

    I struggled a lot with my mental health growing up. I wanted to better understand myself - why do I feel the way I do, why do people do bad things, will I ever feel better, how can I help myself, and so on.

    Studying psychology allowed me to explore the human mind in ways which really fascinated me. As I've gotten older, healed from trauma and received lots of support for my mental health, I am now in a good place. But I'll never forget the bad days. I want to help people going through the same difficulties I did. I love psychology, because even if you don't yet fully understand yourself, it allows you to constantly learn more about yourself and others.

    In terms of jobs, psychology can get you into such a broad range of things. There's different branches of psychology...
    educational psychology (good for teaching, SEN work, educational psychologist etc.)
    clinical psychology (good for healthcare, mental health doctors, counselling etc.)
    Forensic psychology (good for working in prisons, working in rehabilitation, parole officers etc.)
    Biopsychology (Good for studying the biological influence on behaviour, healthcare,
    researcher etc.)
    I could go on forever haha.
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    @Kaii thank you so much! I'm definitely enjoying university. Finally being able to study what i'm passionate about has been very interesting and rewarding :)
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,955 Extreme Poster
    @M3GANx04 Thanks for the reply.
    That actually sounds super cool! I will definitely consider studying it in the future.
    M3GANx04 wrote: »
    I wanted to better understand myself - why do I feel the way I do, why do people do bad things, will I ever feel better, how can I help myself, and so on.

    Those sure are questions I'd love to have the answers to.
    Best of luck in your studies! :)
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,127 Community Veteran
    Hi @M3GANx04 welcome back to The Mix. I really appreciate you being here. Psychology sounds really cool. I noticed that you mentioned about feeling free to have a rant about things. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put my rant but as a creative person I often struggle with originality most of the time. This will probably sound stupid but just now online I saw someone who made a bag and I also too made a bag but we had similar colours. Why can't I be original enough. Im a fraud. Sorry for randomly posting this in here, I should really be using the health and well-being discussion board instead on here. However, it is very lovely to meet you and I do look forward to seeing you around on here.

    All the best,

    Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    Sounds to me like something called imposter syndrome. It's not a medical term, just generally means that you feel unable to appreciate your own success - you feel as though you're an imposter. Lots of people experience this problem and the fact that people have created a word for it shows that you're definitely not alone.

    I personally used to be very passionate about art. I wrote poetry, painted, and wanted to pursue a career in the creative industry. The great thing about art is that it's used to inspire others, including new creators. I like to believe that true originality is impossible. People have been creating art forever, and chances are whatever you create has been done before. There will be art with the same colour scheme, or shape, or texture as yous - and that's completely okay!

    Something I used to do to inspire my own originality is find an artists work and pinpoint on thing i liked about it e.g., the colour scheme. I'd then try and create something completely different whilst still sticking to their colour scheme. For example, taking an artists red and yellow painting and creating a red and yellow sculpture. Maybe you can try something like this.

    Look forward to seeing you around too :)
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Just wanted to quickly pop on and say thank you so very much @M3GANx04 , it's immensely kind and compassionate of you to do this, you truly are an asset to The Mix and the world <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,127 Community Veteran
    M3GANx04 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like something called imposter syndrome. It's not a medical term, just generally means that you feel unable to appreciate your own success - you feel as though you're an imposter. Lots of people experience this problem and the fact that people have created a word for it shows that you're definitely not alone.

    I personally used to be very passionate about art. I wrote poetry, painted, and wanted to pursue a career in the creative industry. The great thing about art is that it's used to inspire others, including new creators. I like to believe that true originality is impossible. People have been creating art forever, and chances are whatever you create has been done before. There will be art with the same colour scheme, or shape, or texture as yous - and that's completely okay!

    Something I used to do to inspire my own originality is find an artists work and pinpoint on thing i liked about it e.g., the colour scheme. I'd then try and create something completely different whilst still sticking to their colour scheme. For example, taking an artists red and yellow painting and creating a red and yellow sculpture. Maybe you can try something like this.

    Look forward to seeing you around too :)

    Thank you so much @M3GANx04
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    AislingDM wrote: »
    Just wanted to quickly pop on and say thank you so very much @M3GANx04 , it's immensely kind and compassionate of you to do this, you truly are an asset to The Mix and the world <3

    Thank you for your kind words! I'm truly glad to be back :)
  • Options
    RossouwRossouw Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi Megan, I'm Rossouw. I hope we can be friends. I may not spend to much time on my computer. I will check in when ever I may.
  • Options
    M3GANx04M3GANx04 Posts: 61 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Rossouw
    That would be lovely. No worries, I'm always here :)
  • Options
    kittenloverkittenlover Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi Megan! I'm new to this and I hope it can support me through my teenage years too. I'm really struggling with regret right now and maybe you have any tips? I keep on beating myself up over something that happened and I'm not sure what I can do to stop. Sorry to bother ❤️
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,141 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @kittenlover. We are all here for you and, hopefully, can support you through your teenage years.

    You mention you are really struggling with regret right now, would you like to tell us more about this at the moment?

    In terms of tips, it will mainly be about learning to forgive yourself but I recognise this is easier said than done and different things work best for each of us.

    We are all listening to you though and care about you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Sign In or Register to comment.