Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Affirmations

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
Are they positive sentences or statements
Wat r some examples?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Libby_Libby_ Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi Ellie

Here’s an example I found,

For example, if we've just been rejected by a potential romantic partner, we might say the affirmation, "I am worthy of love." Or, if we're struggling in our career, we might say the affirmation, "I am capable of success." These examples highlight how self-affirmations in popular psychology kind of merge our automatic
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Libby gave some brilliant examples @ellie2000 <3 I suppose the key point to understand is what you're feeling low about and what you need affirmations for?

Some people also find it easier to start with affirmations that are about less challenging things in their life. For example, if you felt dreadfully low about your appearance, maybe don't start there, instead you could try to affirm little things in the day-to-day, like "I always make such a good cup of tea".

It might sound silly, but over time these words begin to mean more and feel stronger, especially if you keep at it. No one is saying they are going to 'fix' everything but they can make waking up each day just a little bit less terrifying.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @Libby_ @AislingDM i need good stuff to say to feel gd, wen i feel oo-er moments. to start off the day, positively
    Crazy mad insane
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    One of my favourites is "Yesterday has gone, tomorrow is not here yet but right now I can focus on making today a good day. It will be a good day". Hope this helps @ellie2000 :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @Laura_tigger82 @AislingDM focusing on today or tomorrow is not tht easy as ppl think it varies from person to person :) i think the future is no. at least i no im goin on a cruise :) i used to h8 my hometown, im somewhere else :)
    horray 4 meltdowns ppl notice finally n they move u :)
    why does it take ppl to notice something drastic 4 ppl around u to do something?
    i got games, i got company, family's near, everything is gd ....:)
    Crazy mad insane
    Fair point of course, we never know what tomorrow brings and one person's perfect day could be another's worst nightmare @ellie2000 !!

Some other options could be:

1) I am stronger than I know
    2) I can reach my goals
    3) I am proud of myself (I find this one especially hard but very important).
    4) I am important and my words matter

Hoping some of these might fit in with the vibe you are looking for <3

The cruise sounds very exciting, wow I am jealous! Which areas will the cruise by moving through?

I agree, you make such insightful points Ellie, especially about how people respond to mental health needs. Often people cannot truly 'see' that a person is really struggling until they are at a breaking point, which just shows we need better education with letting people know the signs of someone suffering. Also, I reckon some people can be dismissive, and it's certainly not everyone and it's not always done out of malice. Nevertheless, I think you can see it with parents sometimes: they do not want to think of their child as being in pain, so they can push away the truth. Sadly, this does nothing to help the person :(

Why do you think people wait for something drastic before acting? xxx
    edited February 2023
    @AislingDM its a cruise in the fjords n stuff :) after i tlkd to someone this evening, i relised i try to distract myself too much tht ppl dont see how i really feel.
    Crazy mad insane
    Sounds like such a beautiful trip @ellie2000 ! I just looked up some pictures of the fjords and they are so gorgeous <3

Completely, I think sometimes distractions can be useful when you're feeling really distressed and you just want to get away from the intensity of those feelings but other times you need to actually let yourself feel them and know that others can see them too. We don't want to shoulder all the pain on our own and when others seem oblivious to just how low or anxious or distressed we are, it can feel pretty invalidating and a lot of us start to wonder whether people can really see us for who we are :(

I wonder, Ellie, do you feel comfortable talking about your true feelings to people? xx