Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Struggling with originality

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
Um...hi. Lately I have been struggling with my creativity and originality. Today when I was online, I was looking at crochet patterns. I came across a bag pattern on a website which used the same yarn I used when making a bag a while ago. Also, when I made my bag a while ago, I posted it onto my Instagram page. However, as the pattern I saw online was the same colour, I got a bit anxious and deleted my reel that I made. I know I shoulden't have deleted the reel because I made a lot of my friends happy. However, this probably sounds silly and very stupid but I was worried that the person who made the design would find out and be upset with me. Why do I feel like I am so unoriginal?. I feel like I keep comparing myself to other people when it comes to my creativity. I hate feeling like I am not original enough, eventhough I know myself that not everything will be original and has been already done. I need to overcome this if I am to ever improve myself. Why do I feel anxious whenever I create something or before I am about to create something. This will probably be the most silliest post I will ever post on here online. God sometimes I hate myself like.
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 18
    Hey @Amy22. Well done for reaching out to us.

I can hear that you are really struggling with creativity and originality at the moment – particularly with concerns about using the same colour as patterns you have seen online.

It sounds like this made you feel anxious, despite recognising that you made a lot of your friends happy. As @Past User has said, nothing is silly or stupid and is valid.

Am I right in hearing that to you originality looks like thinking of other colours and, if so, what might help you with this – are there resources you can use to think of other colours?

We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us about this. Hopefully, you will find your spark for creativity and originality soon :3
    Post edited by patrickDev on
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    edited September 18
    Thank you @Past User and @Laura_tigger82 <3
    Post edited by patrickDev on
  • jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Amy22

It can be really hard sometimes to be original when creating something. I know it's definitely something I struggle with as well. I often follow crochet patterns exactly using the same colours, because if I see a pattern using them it can be hard to be creative and think of other variations. Like Laura has said maybe picking out some different colours may help inspire a bit of creativity. I would say though there's nothing wrong with using people patterns. If you feel worried about posting it, you could always tag the original creator or tag the pattern so people know you've credited the original creator, but I think people post patterns for people to used most people are happy to see what other people have created.

I've seen some of you crocheting on the crochet thread and it seems really creative and original, keep going with it. I'm sure you'll get a spark of creativity soon!
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    Thank you so much @Jess63