Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Best Self Help Techniques I found - Let's Share!

ChevyFanChevyFan Posts: 1 Just got here
Hello,

I wanted to share some self help techniques I have discovered that have helped me tremendously, and then perhaps other people on here can share some techniques as well..

There's two self help techniques that have made a huge difference in my life, the first one is for letting go of past traumas, and when you do this technique you can FEEL the shift, when you do it correctly, you will feel yourself letting go of the problem you are noticing, it's like a wave of relaxation that goes through you, and that method is called "The Sedona Method" I highly recommend people give this a try, it will change your life!.

Another method I know of is called the Lefkoe Method, and this is basically a way of looking back at events from our past that we gave negative meaning to, and we can basically re-wire our brains by going back and reviewing these events and realizing that there is more than one meaning for any one event, and this method is powerful because it uses NLP techniques to change your beliefs, and with different beliefs you would be leading a different life.

For example, If you’re sitting at home, not planning to go out and it starts to rain,
How does the rain make you feel? It probably makes you feel NOTHING

It’s the day of your wedding and it starts to rain, How does the rain make you feel?

It probably makes you feel BAD

Now, let’s say you’re a farmer and your crops are dying because you haven’t had any rain in over 2 months, and suddenly it begins to rain.

How does the rain make you feel? It probably makes you feel GOOD

Was it the rain that made you feel bad?

Or was it the MEANING YOU GAVE to the rain that made you feel bad?

I would love to hear of some other techniques that people have had success using!

Thanks for reading this!

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Hello @ChevyFan. Welcome to The Mix's community. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

Thank you for sharing your tips with our community. I am sure your tips will be invaluable, especially as they are based on your own positive experiences.

Hopefully, other community members will be able to respond to this thread with some more techniques soon!

In the meantime, take care and we will look forward to hopefully hearing from you again soon :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    That is an absolutely beautiful technique @ChevyFan <3 Being able to consider things from other perspectives is so wonderful, and definitely helps with more mundane worries like the rain. It might seem silly but feeling negatively because of the rain can really ruin the rest of your day, so I'm sure being able to reposition things like this will help me in the future!

I personally like the It's a Wonderful Life technique (it won't work for everyone in every situation). It's basically about imagining a world with you gone and how it would affect others. Now, instinctively, most people who are deeply depressed and/or suicidal are unlikely to see any negatives in them disappearing from the planet. Nevertheless, when you think of the most random people you interact with, you will see the difference you make in people's lives. Like, I would definitely feel something missing if I didn't see random people at my local Sainsbury's for a while. Remember, when I suggest this one, I am not in anyway saying 'think of all the people who love you' because I know that is not at all what will necessarily help people to cope with suicidal feelings, however it can be useful in a lighter sense when you're feeling a bit down/useless in the world. =)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    @ChevyFan this perspective of the rain is a really beautiful way to look at it.

The thing that I have valued most throughout more recent years, are doing mindfulness techniques, just one a day. Like when cooking, spending 10 minutes when you are chopping a vegetable, bringing all senses into it - how does it feel on your fingers, the taste, the smell, the sound of the chopping etc. Or in the shower, really feeling the water on your skin. Brushing your teeth and smelling the toothpaste and how it feels on your teeth. Any day-to-day activity.

Coming back to the present in this way is so important because it's the right here right now, it's real, and when you feel overwhelmed by life, or too many thoughts running around your head, it just brings you back and I, personally, feel a lot more grounded.