Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression and anxiety

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
Wat is it, does lack of sleep make u down, coz I had a debate with someone and I thought but couldn't explain. They think thts the only reason. Wat would the answer be? I couldn't find the words
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Not being able to find the right way to explain something is always so frustrating, but especially when it's in the midst of a debate because you can feel more aware that people are watching you and anticipating your response @ellie2000 :(

Lack of sleep can definitely be a factor in contributing to depression and anxiety. Equally, sleep does have a cyclical relationship with these mental health needs, so this means that whilst lack of sleep can """cause""" depression, depression can also """"cause"""" restlessness and an inability to sleep.

It can be really tough to tease apart how the two relate to one another, but I'd always try to recommend at least 8 hours if you can manage it, but I know this definitely is not feasible for everyone. Plus, you're right, there are many many other factors that contribute to depression and anxiety developing. From social isolation and grief, to traumatic experiences and emotional dysregulation, there are many reasons why people become depressed and anxious. If you have any more questions, I'd be very grateful to answer anything else <3

(btw I used quote marks for 'cause' because I am not claiming that getting less than 8 hours sleep a night will 100% make you depressed, rather I am saying lack of sleep can be a factor that can lead to depression and anxiety).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    It seems like I to not say somethings wrong coz they busy, they won't understand, they take too long or take it out of hand
    Crazy mad insane
    But I feel gd, I've moved now, much more comfy (if thts the word) 😊
    Crazy mad insane
    Y did I feel unsettled? Wat questions should I ask myself. 🤔 all gd now 😀😀
    Crazy mad insane
    Definitely, you make a great point. People can get frustrated when we are open with them and then get all confused about what we are actually trying to say @ellie2000 . I think this can make it a bit harder to have completely honest conversations with some people. It seems like you're really making an effort to help people to better-understand how mental health issues can begin and how there are lots of different factors involved, which is great work <3

I love to hear that you're feeling more settled and comfortable! A good question to ask is, has anything changed in your life lately to make you feel more chilled out? xx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    I've moved now, wen I went to the crematorium for the 1st time in ages I broke down. I liked my grandparents 😊 I knew my grandma for longer. We had big exciting Christmas 🎄 😀
    Crazy mad insane
    Visiting the resting place of loved ones can be such an emotional experience @ellie2000 , especially if you haven't been by in a while, I reckon the memories and feelings can come flooding in and it can be pretty overwhelming. :(

I'm so glad that you see all of the positive things also, like being able to remember your beautiful Christmases together!! I'd love to hear more about the kinds of things you did around the holidays? <3