Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Covid conspiracy theorists and anti vaxxers!

AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Has anyone else come across these people who have been around for over two.and a half years now! They claim that covid 19 is not a serious disease and that the governments of the world deliberatly exaggerated it inorder to bring in a New World Order and destroy democracy. They also claim that the covid 19 vaccines are exteemely dangerous and have killed countless thousands of people! Are these people mad or what? David Icke and Piers Corbyn are prominent activists in that movement!
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• fiona333fiona333 Posts: 172 Helping Hand
    It is so scary to think we live in this type of world - where these baseless, unproven and danger theories dominate so many people. The social media driven postmodernist society we live in, can spread these messages so quickly to the masses, with the meaning of the message getting misconstrued along the way, which only leads to further misinformation. I think this has lead to people being concerned with the reliability of many sources. It’s a crazy world we live in! But lucky as stated above by @Gerch914 this is only the small minority!
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I've definitely heard of people who are anti-vax and who think COVID-19 is a lie @AbandonedTrolley :( It's deeply disheartening and disrespectful to the victims of this virus to write it off as 'something the government has made up'. We have witnessed unimaginable pain from the family members left behind and from the tireless frontline staff, yet people continue to deny the virus even exists.

I certainly agree with the frustration you all state, particularly when we have personal connections to how this pandemic has ravaged the planet :( One thing I keep reminding myself of, is the fact that some of the people on the fringe of these movements are coming from a place of legitimate misunderstanding that is bolstered by overwhelming fear. When people already distrust the government for understandable reasons, it can be tough to immediately accept their word as Gospel, even when it is about scientific evidence :( Plus, we have to remember how historically-harmed groups are being exposed to this anti-vax rhetoric. Trying to support people in understanding the benefits of the vaccinations is always the most important thing at the end of the day.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/20/black-americans-covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-mistrust
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    I think the covid deniers and anti-vaxxers must to totally, totally stupid given the vast numbers of people who have either died from covid 19 or been seriously ill with it. And the fact that here in Britain over one million people are suffering from long covid. Do the covid conspiracy theorists really believe that so many thousands of doctors and media journalists are all lying and are all part of some great big conspiracy???? See this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0g4cz5-oM
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,506 The Mix Elder
    Hi I also agree with this too, I know that there are many people who are into conspiracy theories, but really covid 19 did happen, I witness it happening on tv. I can't believe that a small minority of people thought that covid 19 was made up. What is worse was that Donald Trump even supported the anti vaxxer scheme which is shocking. I wish more people understood what really happened.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    Conspiracy theories always thrive around major events and disasters. They are usually fuelled by professional conspiracy theorists like David Icke in Britain and Alex Jones in America who make a living out of selling conspiracy books and writing conspiracy blogs on the internet. Conspiracy theorists usually pick and choose small items from the news and take items and statements by politicians out of context to try to make out that there is a great big conspiracy about something. Conspiracy theories have boomed since the internet became popular in the late 1990s as the internet has made it far easier to spread them.