Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

needing help

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
if u exausted services in one area, does it restart in a different area 200 miles under a new gp
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    how do i help myself wen i hav a oo-er moment like panic uneasyness
    Crazy mad insane
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Some people do reach outside of their immediate area to get more help, because they have become known to the support agencies in their own area @ellie2000 . It sounds like you are worried about the over-use of services, even though you continue to need help <3 It is important to see that you NEED the support you are looking for. Many people who need to keep returning to services are not doing so because they are lazy or can't be helped, but rather because they have complex needs and often those cannot be sufficiently addressed in 12 sessions of CBT. You are not doing anything wrong but accessing services in your area, as they should be there for the people who need them, like you :)

In terms of coping with panic, I'd be grateful to have some more info on what usually happens before you get that feeling of uneasyness? xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    edited October 2022
    i got a spikey ball tht i roll around the floor with my barefeet coz anything u wear catch, wen i feel a panic attack b4 deeply i move my legs, flapping each one alternatly fast infront of me like a bird, or i make my hand in a beak and gently clap together fingers n thum =)
    Crazy mad insane
    thts at nighttime, in the day i mite play the coffin dance on piano
    Crazy mad insane
    being on my own alot its abit trial n error
    Crazy mad insane
    It sounds reallty impressive that you've been able to find these different ways to cope when you are overwhelmed with anxiety. I think what is interesting about it @ellie2000 , is that everyone has different approaches to allow themselves to feel relaxed and comfortable <3 There certainly does seem to be something calming about engaging your body in a task when you're deeply anxious. Kind of like putting your wrists in ice cold water to give your body a shock!

I couldn't agree more that a lot of this is just trial and error and something that works for another person may be the opposite of what you need! I'd be happy to talk about some other ways to cope with panic attacks if you'd like? x
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    yh plz
    Crazy mad insane
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi Ellie, for panic attacks I thought Mind’s website was helpful for coping mechanisms - https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/panic-attacks/
    What helps to manage panic attacks?

Panic attacks can be frightening, but there are things you can do to help yourself cope. It could help to print off these tips, or write them down, and keep them somewhere easy to find.

During a panic attack:

Focus on your breathing. It can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    Stamp on the spot. Some people find this helps control their breathing.
    Focus on your senses. For example, taste mint-flavoured sweets or gum, or touch or cuddle something soft.
    Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can help you feel more in control. They're especially useful if you experience dissociation during panic attacks. See our page on self-care for dissociation for more information on grounding techniques.
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Amazing suggestions from Lucy here, @ellie2000 <3 I would also add the useful tool of using something cold on either your chest or your neck. This is because there are nerves there which are linked to a racing heart and by cooling them, we can slow that racing that we can get during a panic attack xx