Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Body feels bleurgh again and I have no idea why

PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I posted a thing about how I'd gotten a really bad cold just after submitting all my uni work. That sucked, but on the plus side by last week it had started clearing up and by Friday I felt completely better, except for a slight cough and being on my period.
And now I feel totally bleurgh again! My head hurts, I feel really tired, my throat feels kind of raw and weird, and my nose... it's hard to describe. You know when you accidentally inhale seawater and afterwards there's this burning feeling in your nose and mouth? It feels like that, like my nose has been flushed out with a load of salty water.
I don't know why my body seems to have just crashed again... I'm frustrated with myself because my productivity has gone right down, and it's scary not knowing why this has happened. Has the same cold come back again or have I caught something else? Wtf is wrong with me? Doesn't help that there's a tiny hypochondriac part of my brain that's sure there's something seriously wrong with me.
Should I go into rest mode again or keep working? Idk what to do! Please help :/

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    That is so frustrating and draining @PenguinSky :/ I'm right there with you at the minute, where my body seems unable to escape the colds and flus running rampant right now. It's made all the more distressing when you actually start to feel better, only for your body to weaken on you again :(

I don't think you're being a hypochondriac, although rather than it being some scary and malicious disease, it could simply be your body's way of telling you just how exhausted you are right now. Some people say, if you won't take rest, your body will give it to you anyway :) Another thing to consider, is that for the past 2 and a half years, people have been wearing masks and practicing significantly better hygiene standards, yet recently, I've personally seen a drop in these behaviours. This would naturally mean that cold and flu viruses (other than COVID) are spreading faster than in previous years.

If you can stay in rest mood for a bit longer, I'd certainly recommend that, as you deserve time away from work to recuperate. If you cannot, even scaling back your work so that you can listen to your body when it tells you to sleep would be good. If this continues for another little while, despite rest, relaxation and medicine, I reckon it's time to call up your GP. Fingers crossed you start to feel better soon. I know how draining coughs and colds can be, especially when they linger like this :( xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • fiona333fiona333 Posts: 172 Helping Hand
    Hi @PenguinSky so sorry to hear you are doing through all this, it sounds so tiring and exhausted.

It can also be scary when you have no idea what is happening with your body, I think it’s perfectly normal to be having all these thoughts, especially after the last two years as @AislingDM has talked about above.

I also understand your frustration when your productivity goes down due to illness, I think this can turn into a bit of a vicarious cycle. As I often try to push through, either though I’m not in the right mindset or physical feeling working. Which results in becoming more tired and delaying my physical recovery and hinders the quality of my work. It sounds like you have done amazing so far, and that you deserve a good rest, take this time for yourself. I wish you all the best, keep us updated. 😊❤️
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,465 Wise Owl
    Hi @PenguinSky, firstly I hope your doing okay.

I completely agree with what @AislingDM and @fiona333 have said. I know for a lot of people over the last couple of years, things like immune systems and stuff aren't what we are used to due to us being in lockdowns etc.

I think ultimately if your body is telling you it needs to rest for a bit more, then you should listen to it. As the others have said and as I've seen from some of your other posts on here, you seem to work incredibly hard so you deserve to have that rest and see if your body recovers and brings you back to a level your happy with and can be productive with again. I also agree that if you feel like you should go to the doctors/GP to see if something serious is going on, then you should listen to that. It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to illness so get checked out if you feel you should

Hope your better again soon and sending hugs
    Sinead
    Just checking in to see how you've been doing over the past week @PenguinSky ? Here if you'd like to chat, vent or anything else <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • PenguinSkyPenguinSky Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Hey @AislingDM Sorry for not replying, I just forgot to check the website for ages. I keep meaning to but then putting it off, happens with a lot of things that aren't like urgent but still important.
    Yeah whatever that was did pass, thank you for asking <3 although I did then get Covid right after Christmas so that was pretty annoying!
    Thanks again <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @PenguinSky. Please don't apologise. The most important thing is that you feel able to reach out to us when you want to.

How are you feeling at the moment? I hope you are feeling better and managing ok. We are all here for you and listening to you though if you would like to share more with us <3
    Absolutely no worries @PenguinSky !! I suppose that's the whole point of The Mix, being able to talk, share and respond when it works for you <3

I'm really glad to hear your body was finally able to adjust, but so rotten that you ended up with covid so soon afterwards :(

Grateful to get updates like this no matter how much time has passed, so remember not to feel bad in anyway for not replying quickly. We're just happy to hear from you whenever you need us <3<3<3