Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

eczema

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I've got patches on my skin. It is so itchy that I cannot concentrate on anything. It doesn't seem to improve.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,294 Community Veteran
    Hi @Kate_20 it sounds like the patches on your skin are very itchy and I hear that you have been struggling with concentration. I don't know if this helps, but have you tried contacting your local GP service?. As they might be able to look at it more and give you something for the patches, or even going to your local pharmacist where they could recommend something that could stop the patches from itching. I know that you can buy cream which is normally for eczema and itchy patches. Hope you are feeling okay,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @Amy22 I've been applying the cream to the affected area. Didn't help at all.
  • Options
    @Kate_20 I don't know if it might help but maybe going back to your doctors, you could explain that it doesn't work for you. They could recommend something else for it.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,267 Wise Owl
    I second this, if the current creams aren't working for you, it may be beneficial to go back to the doctors and explain this to see what else they can give you, as i know from people in my family that different things may work for different people depending on individual circumstances.

Hope it gets sorted soon

Sinead :3
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 485 Listening Ear
    Hey @Kate_20, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your eczema. My sister and I both have eczema, so I sympathise with you. Our eczema is quite serious, so we struggled to sleep some nights because of the itching and we cried back then, believing that we wouldn't get better. I hope that your eczema isn't as bad as ours. Currently, my eczema hasn't disappeared (and I don't think it can) but I know what to do whenever I get flare-ups.

I agree with what everyone else has said on here. Seeing your GP about this can be very helpful. They can suggest new creams/ointment for you to try, or refer you to a dermatologist, which is what my sister and I experienced. A GP/dermatologist can give you some sort of plan for you to follow about how to use these creams/ointments. In other cases, you could also have to be referred to a dietician or paediatric services, since eczema flare-ups are commonly connected to the food you eat, or allergies that you may have. They can help you out if you have allergies, or advise you on what you should eat. My sister had to go through this.

I tried so many creams/ointments which didn't work, until I found ones that have worked for me. I hope you find creams/ointments that work out just fine for you, I'm sure there are some out there. :smile:

Hope this helps and that everything turns out okay <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    @Amy22 @sinead276 @kaii Thanks for the suggestions. Would it be possible that it is caused by my sleep problems? I can't sleep properly for a long time and it might have an impact on my immune system. I don't normally have eczema. I used to have it when I was a baby, but it disappeared when I became older.
  • Options
    Hi @Kate_20 I'm not sure on this really as I'm not much of an expert on skin. It could be that it is of a lack of sleep. It might be worth going to your local gp and explaining or asking about it. Sorry if my advice isn't that helpful.
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,267 Wise Owl
    Unfortunately, I'm also unsure as to whether the lack of sleep you experience could be causing your eczema, it could be that the two are linked, but I can't say for sure whether this would be the case. I agree that your GP will probably be able to give you the best advice on this, as they can examine your case/situation specifically, as they are going to be far more informed on the topic, so i recommend trying to speak to them about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :)
  • Options
    Hey @Kate_20 from my experience, I think sleep problems is one possible factor that could trigger eczema. I’m not sure if you’re having difficulty sleeping at night because of eczema, but it could be a possible reason why you’re not getting enough sleep since it can give you so much trouble. It may help to talk to your GP about possible triggers of your eczema.

I hear that you used to have eczema when you were younger, and that it disappeared when you grew up. Now that it seems to be bothering you again, I would just like to ask, do you remember how your eczema disappeared as you grew up? If you do, it may help to use the same strategies that helped you before. :smile:

Apart from lack of sleep, your eczema could possibly be related to factors such as weather, stress or allergies. I would just like to ask, is your skin alright with extreme weather? Do you itch whenever you feel stressed? Do you have any allergies?
  • Options
    @Amy22 @sinead276 @kaii I don't remember how it disappeared. I am under a lot of pressure recently. I don't normally have ezcema. I'll try to observe the patterns.
  • Options
    @Kate_20 I'm really sorry to hear that you're under a lot of pressure. This pressure could contribute to your eczema. This was an issue that I had myself, my eczema got a lot worse whenever I was stressed. If you're comfortable, would you like to tell us more about what's making you feel pressured recently? Are there any trusted friends that you can talk to about this? You may feel better talking/typing about it.

The Mix have an article called Coping with stress, which includes strategies on how to manage your stress. Maybe incorporating these suggestions could help you feel less stressed and pressured, which could make your eczema less worse :smile:

https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/stress-mental-health/coping-with-stress-5599.html

Hope this helps <3
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 690 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

It’s possible that your eczema may have flared up again if you are stressed, though there could be other triggers e.g. dry air, sweat, too hot, or a change of soap or washing powder.

If the itching is so bad that you can’t concentrate, you might want to look into taking antihistamines e.g. piriton to help take the edge off the itching.

It’s also a good idea to wash the area to keep it clean, then apply a corticosteroid (e.g. hydrocortisone, can be bought over the counter) wait 30 minutes or so then apply an emollient/moisturiser. If your skin is really dry, regularly re-apply the moisturiser throughout the day.

As hard as it is, try not to scratch the area as that can make it worse or lead to a skin infection. You could try wearing cotton gloves, particularly at night, to help prevent scratching.

If over the counter treatments don’t work, then it’s probably best to talk to a pharmacist or see your GP who may be able to prescribe you stronger medication.

For more ideas on treatment of eczema, you can check out this article from the NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/atopic-eczema/treatment/

Hang in there!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.